steering stabilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering stabilizer

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
bigskydrift

steering stabilizer

sooooo, I am trying to take the steering stabilizer / dampner off of my 97 TJ. Got the upper end off no problem but the other end that attaches to the drag link will not budge. I took the cotter pin out, got the nut off but cannot get the darn bolt to come out of the drag link....I soaked it in penetrating oil, have tried tapping it out with a hammer....it is like it is welded in there!
any ideas??

bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bolt is tapered. This subject comes up almost daily. Do a search. Multiple options. I think best is using a pitman arm puller.
Unread 03-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got a "loaner" pitman arm puller from Advance auto.It popped off in 30 seconds.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
SilverJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hit it harder it will come out! I do not hit the bolt part, I hit the arm that encompasses the bolt. I hit it really hard and it eventually pops out without a puller.
SilverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up using a torch and heating up the bolt and area around it. Poured some water on it after and hit it about 4 times with a hammer and it came right out. Its tapered not threaded in there so you can hit it out. My stabilizer came with new hardware for that end so i wasn't worried about damaging the bolt.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Disconnect
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm-z View Post
I ended up using a torch and heating up the bolt and area around it. Poured some water on it after and hit it about 4 times with a hammer and it came right out. Its tapered not threaded in there so you can hit it out. My stabilizer came with new hardware for that end so i wasn't worried about damaging the bolt.
That sounds like the exact definition of excessive force Esp compared to a puller.. (Did mine last week. Puller takes about as long as hitting it twice with a hammer, without having to wave a hammer around your undercarriage and/or face..)
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Vandano
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That does sound excessive, where you hitting the bolt with a hammer or where the tapered bolt sits. Normally you just hit the round portion that holds the tapered bolt on its edge and it causes it to pop right out.
Vandano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem, the bolt would not bulged, get the puller, it came right off with it.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
Holm-z

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah i know, my garage is 30 miles from the closest auto store and i happen to have a propane torch handy... It didn't take to long really.

Monstaliner, CB Radio, Driving/Fog/Rock/Reverse lights

My build thread, work in progress...

I understand.

IAFF Local 3265
Holm-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If there's a will, there's a way. However, if you can get a hold of a puller you'll be very happy you did.

Quote:
Yeah i know, my garage is 30 miles from the closest auto store and i happen to have a propane torch handy... It didn't take to long really.
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
bigskydrift

thanks all, for the advice. I did end up buying a smal pitman arm puller, 8-10 turns and BANG, it was off!
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.