Steering shimmy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering shimmy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-31-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Steering shimmy

My steering wheel shakes (rotates) back and forth about 1/2 inch, but only at speeds between about 40 and 55 mph. Unfortunately alot of my driving is in that range. What on earth can it be?

33" Kuhmo venture tires. I rotated and balanced last week, no effect.
Tightened track bar bolt. No effect.

Any ideas / things to check?

TIA!

Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
brandongrover

Welcome to the club, had mine for the last month and half. If you find an answer let me know.
Black Jeep Member #333
2004 Sport
3.5" BDS w/ 1"MORE MML and 1" BL
Looks like a beast drives like crap, working on it...

Running Big Waylon's Old Gear Member #1
brandongrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

check your caster angle. If it is inappropriately shallow, then correct with longer(adjustable) lower control arms in the front. Fix it while it's just a nuisance and before it worsens into death wobble.

-Chris

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hate to break it to ya but I've been dealing with that for 10k miles. It goes away and comes. Normally its just a slight shimmy between 45-55. My tires are in perfect balance, toe and caster are right on. I do have the stock steering and track bar and an aftermarket monroe steering damper. I have a feeling the larger tires put more force on the trackbar bushing than it can handle stock. When I get some cash thats what I'm going to replace next.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
TJ_with_Tusks

do you have heavy duty steering shock? Also if you have a dropped pitman arm, and not very much lift, that can cause some vibs and wobble.

I figured this out the hard way

JerseyDan
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
TJ_with_Tusks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a ZJ tie rod, stock everything else incl. pitman arm.

Maybe I'll have to look into a new track bar.

I did have a loose lower control arm bolt a month or so back, I wonder if it let the arm move enough to get things out of funk.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin' Rock Cl

I did have a loose lower control arm bolt a month or so back, I wonder if it let the arm move enough to get things out of funk.
I have the stock pitman arm also. The lower control arms have a washer that keeps them center in the slot. You can use ecentric washers to adjust caster or go with adjustale control arms (which is the recommend method as the washers can move out of adjustment).

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
Unread 03-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin' Rock Cl

I'd check that out. Torque all steering componets to spec. Are you SURE your tires are balanced?
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99
I'd check that out. Torque all steering componets to spec. Are you SURE your tires are balanced?
I know mine are defiantly balanced. I've had them done a couple of times over the past 10k at different places. Each place I watch them balance them to 0 and its always the same wqith the steeringwheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.