JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Steering Problem? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/steering-problem-1524845/)

dakota123 05-17-2013 08:32 PM

Steering Problem?

So i had a 95 yj and just picked up a 04 tj the other week and the steering is kind of sloppy i dont know if this is normal with the coil springs or what? It almost feels like the axles aren't really under the jeep right and when i accelerate it goes to one side. I checked out my steering linkage up front and it moved around a bit not sure if that is supposed to happen? Ill try to post some pictures of it in a second what im talking about

BLK00TJ 05-17-2013 08:35 PM

Have you tried looking under it while someone is in the drivers seat steering back and forth? Have them turn lock to lock and fast back and forth a few times. Have them do it until you look at every joint involved in steering.

dakota123 05-17-2013 08:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 627902

So i can feel this move up and down with my hand is that supposed to happen?

dakota123 05-17-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
Have you tried looking under it while someone is in the drivers seat steering back and forth? Have them turn lock to lock and fast back and forth a few times. Have them do it until you look at every joint involved in steering.

I just had my dad do it and i couldnt really tell if anything seemed off. Im going over to my buddies house tonight to have him help me

dakota123 05-18-2013 01:44 AM

Ive been doing some reading and i read some posts that said it could be a a drop pitman arm that was installed when it wasnt needed. Could someone tell me whether or not i have that i have no idea what it looks like.

MetalMountainGoat 05-18-2013 02:12 AM

From what I can tell, that isn't the stock draglink. The steering stabilizer does not have that bracket on the pitman arm side on stock TJ steering. You said it would move, if that is the case, then it needs replacing it should have little to now movement up or down.

mean_green97 05-18-2013 03:35 AM

Yea man, I've had the same problem. I was gonna go get a 4 wheel alignment this week, thinking it was just a bad alignment. I'm gonna take it to a shop, as the steering on jeeps is one thing I don't know about them. Any input on this issue would be very helpful. For some reason, I think it could be something like the steering pump or the joints, as it goes in an out sometimes. The only way I can think to describe it is like you're fighting the wheel.

Gary2 05-18-2013 04:21 PM

looks like Currie Currectlync steering (good stuff) and a drop pitman . Its hard to tell from the pic . a side view that shows the pitman and track bar mount may be helpful

dakota123 05-20-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary2 (Post 15449999)
looks like Currie Currectlync steering (good stuff) and a drop pitman . Its hard to tell from the pic . a side view that shows the pitman and track bar mount may be helpful

Ill get a better picture tomorrow. One of my buddies said it could be from the rear detroit locker that it veers off to one side when i hit the gas and it could have nothing to do with the actual steering because at highway speeds in a straight line it seems fine its just when shifting that it does it

The time now is 10:17 AM.