Steering Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Problem

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
broller10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Steering Problem

I love my 2005 Jeep wrangler, but I am having a problem. After a big and minor accident my steering has become extremely shifty. When I hit bumps the wheel and inside shakes in my Jeep. When I run over bumps I sometimes need to brake to reduce the steering wheel shake. The steering wheel has almost no weight to it I can move the wheel with two fingers. The wheel also does not turn back to center when I do turns most of the time I need to help it back to center because it is slow to react. It also is very loose when sitting I have to turn the wheel more then a quarter to half a turn to get the tires to move an inch or two to the left or right. (Note my Wrangler is not lifted at all and is completely bone stock if that makes a difference.) Any ideas would help I took it to my jeep dealership multiple times and they say everything is fine.

broller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
broller10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any ideas would be great as to what the problem is, I have looked at all sorts of things steering box stabilizer etc., but I don't know what is wrong so any help would be appreciated.
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
freeman84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

check all the bolts on the front end to make sure they are tight. that includes track bar (2bolts), control arms(8 bolts), tie rod and draglink (4 nuts). The steering stablizer doesnt matter. i have 4.5" lift with no steering stabilizer and it drives perfect. get out of the jeep and have a friend shake the body while u watch the front end to see if anything is loose. then do the same but have the friend move the steering wheel back and forth quickly while the jeep is not running and watch to see if anything is loose
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
freeman84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

and dont forget about the ball joints too. if they are bad it will cause this too
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
broller10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Okay I will try all that probably tomorrow afternoon to see how it goes hopefully I can figure out what the issue is with the control arms should I check both the upper and lower control arms? How do you check to see if the ball joints are good people say to check them, but to be honest I dont know what to look for. I have heard you need air powered tools to get it to I believe the recomended 125 lb ft of torque is that true? Does anyone also know anything about an o2 sensor problem my jeep didn't pass emissions the first time when I got it inspected. They said it was running to rich, and I have had the sensor replaced before, but after a while it comes back any ideas?
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
broller10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Knowledgebase/Image/tjsteering(1).jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-48.htm&usg=__px8oPKsbbU-K0r_69fQogNOn47k=&h=498&w=797&sz=364&hl=en&start=0 &zoom=1&tbnid=1stv1cOGJmZd_M:&tbnh=138&tbnw=207&ei =SdekTcqhF8aJ0QHArojaCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djeep%2Bwrangler%2Bfront%2Bend%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1 071%26bih%3D587%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&d ur=385&oei=SdekTcqhF8aJ0QHArojaCA&page=1&ndsp=13&v ed=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=188&ty=37[/URL] I used this picture, but still dont know what to look for with the ball joints?? Help anyone.
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
jeepsus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would get an alignment. track bar bushing as well. that should take care of it.
jeepsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
jeepsus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broller10 View Post
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Knowledgebase/Image/tjsteering(1).jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-48.htm&usg=__px8oPKsbbU-K0r_69fQogNOn47k=&h=498&w=797&sz=364&hl=en&start=0 &zoom=1&tbnid=1stv1cOGJmZd_M:&tbnh=138&tbnw=207&ei =SdekTcqhF8aJ0QHArojaCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djeep%2Bwrangler%2Bfront%2Bend%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1 071%26bih%3D587%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&d ur=385&oei=SdekTcqhF8aJ0QHArojaCA&page=1&ndsp=13&v ed=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=188&ty=37[/URL] I used this picture, but still dont know what to look for with the ball joints?? Help anyone.
grab the top of the wheel and try and push it back and forth, there should be no play
jeepsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
broller10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I know for a fact there is some play in the steering wheel enough to make you need to constantly move the wheel on a windy day just to keep it in line. People behind me probably think I am drunk sometimes it can be that bad. Yeah they checked the bushings and said I was fine, but I have a feeling they are lying. How should I go about tightening the front end just get a wrench and have at it or is there a special way it needs to be done?
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
freeman84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

just use a wrench to tighten stuff. if something has been loose for a while then a bushing could be messed up and need replacing. be shure to check the alignment too. most places will check it for free. to check ball joints jack to axle up enough to get the tire off the ground and put a pry bar under the tire and try to move it up and down. if it moves at all the ball joints are shot. but that takes a while to happen if your jeep is still totally factory. u can also check the unit bearings while the tire is off the ground by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and trying to jiggle it. if it moves at all ur bearings are going out
Unread 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
broller10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

okay thanks for the ideas hopefully I can get some work done this weekend. Would the serpentine belt have any affect on my power steering at all? Does anyone know what would cause the problems I am having though from just normal driving?

Tags
alignment , shimmy , steering , steering box , steering wheel shaking

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.