steering linkage bracket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering linkage bracket

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

steering guide bracket

So...I just installed a 1" steering guide spacer under the steering shaft bracket. Final piece to my 1" bl. Anyone know what torque specs are for the two bolts and two nuts for bracket? Did search... only got six hits none that matched what I am looking for.

Last edited by Rubikahn; 03-22-2007 at 06:40 PM..
Rubikahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
1BadTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

steering linkage spacer, wut the hail is a steering linkage spacer?
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry my bad... it is a steering guide bracket. The 1" spacer lifts up the bracket to keep the angle of the steering shaft the same after a 1" bl.
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

huh?????????
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
1BadTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

you musta got some fancy body lift, cuz mine came with some pucks and bolts.
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
rob5059MOD

2007 JK Wrangler 

Just tighten them up. I can not find anything in the FSM.

SOLD 06 Wrangler Unlimited Khaki, Congo Cage, D30 w/Aussie & D44 w/ Limited slip and 3.73 gears, 231HD transfer case with 2LOW and JB Conversions SYE with a Tom Woods DS. LIFT: Full Traction 4" Ultimate lift and JKS BL, Brown Dog MML. SKIDS: Jeep Medic TT and Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank, and Rusty's Steering Box & Radiator. STEERING: ZJ steering, and PCS Steering Box. Running on 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. And to ruin the look, I added Warn 6" flares to keep it legal.
rob5059MOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanx Rob I bought the FSM on cd and I couldn't find it either. So I just tightened them... then two more turns. I bought a m.o.r.e. 1" body kit. It came with pucks, new rubber mounts, the steering spacer and a transfer case bracket. .

Last edited by Rubikahn; 03-23-2007 at 07:15 PM..
Unread 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman
huh?????????
In the middle of the intermediate steering shaft there is a support bearing that bolts to a frame mount. If you do a body lift without addressing it, you wind up with a very steep angle on the lower steering joint.

We just cut the bracket right below where the bearing mounts and weld in a piece of 1" strap to make it longer or taller depending on how you look at it.
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
In the middle of the intermediate steering shaft there is a support bearing that bolts to a frame mount. If you do a body lift without addressing it, you wind up with a very steep angle on the lower steering joint.

We just cut the bracket right below where the bearing mounts and weld in a piece of 1" strap to make it longer or taller depending on how you look at it.
What type of issues would you have if you didn't address it? Is the steeper angle going to bind or hang up somehow?

Thanks,

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
rob5059MOD

2007 JK Wrangler 

From what I have read, and may be BS. It will wear out the U-joint on the intermediate shaft quicker.

SOLD 06 Wrangler Unlimited Khaki, Congo Cage, D30 w/Aussie & D44 w/ Limited slip and 3.73 gears, 231HD transfer case with 2LOW and JB Conversions SYE with a Tom Woods DS. LIFT: Full Traction 4" Ultimate lift and JKS BL, Brown Dog MML. SKIDS: Jeep Medic TT and Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank, and Rusty's Steering Box & Radiator. STEERING: ZJ steering, and PCS Steering Box. Running on 35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains. And to ruin the look, I added Warn 6" flares to keep it legal.
rob5059MOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059MOD
From what I have read, and may be BS. It will wear out the U-joint on the intermediate shaft quicker.
Personally, I don't think it makes a difference. I just do it because I can and it offends my mechanical sensibilities not to.
Unread 03-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Personally, I don't think it makes a difference. I just do it because I can and it offends my mechanical sensibilities not to.
Thanks Blaine-I was concerned maybe I should do something to "fix" it as I've run for over a year now with the JKS 1.25" BL, and no steering correction. Wasn't aware of what I needed to fix, as it hasn't appeared to be broken at this point. Sounds easy enough to modify though-just a piece of 1" flat stock, cut and welded in place to raise the section a bit, ease the angle. No biggie, maybe I'll look into doing something just for kicks. Can't hurt.

Thanks again,

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck
Thanks Blaine-I was concerned maybe I should do something to "fix" it as I've run for over a year now with the JKS 1.25" BL, and no steering correction. Wasn't aware of what I needed to fix, as it hasn't appeared to be broken at this point. Sounds easy enough to modify though-just a piece of 1" flat stock, cut and welded in place to raise the section a bit, ease the angle. No biggie, maybe I'll look into doing something just for kicks. Can't hurt.

Thanks again,

Best of Luck,

Mike
We have several rigs that play in the rocks and have done so for years with no ill effects. While I can safely predict no ill effects, I can't do it with 100 percent certainty.
Unread 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
2004JeepTJ

I have been running my JKS 1.25" BL for over 2 years and about 15k miles. Recently I have been getting a loud "clunk" in my steering. I believe it is coming from one of the u-joints in the steering shaft. I did NOT install any steering shaft spacers or brackets when I did my BL, so I am thinking that my steering shaft is binding in certain spots. When I am stopped and I turn my steering wheel CCW, I can make the "clunk" noise over and over. At first I thought my steering box was unhappy, but now based on this duscussion i wonder if my steering shaft u-joint(s) are binding?

Does anyone have pictures of their spacer installation? That would be helpful.

Thank you.
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
freetuck
2001 TJ Wrangler 

its your steering shaft bearing and i cant find one anywhere and no one nows where
freetuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.