Steering issues after upgrade - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering issues after upgrade

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #61
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005rubi View Post
So I took her off road this past weekend and the steering did flawlessly! Only thing is that the steering wheel is off centered...that's it. DRAG LINK IS MAXED OUT. Is it worth uninstalling and reinstalling everything??? but will I be back at square one with a off centered steering wheel. The initial instalation of the tie rod and drag link went fine and everything was right on after the first alignment. Something slipped or lossened up. Where do you suggest I start? At the steering box? The shaft? Is there a way of removing the steeing wheel with out the air bag going off?
You've bent the torsion bar inside the steering gear and it needs to be replaced.

Unread 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #62
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You've bent the torsion bar inside the steering gear and it needs to be replaced.
Thanks mrblaine! I will check that next but for now I went ahead and replaced the track bar with an adjustable one and got the steering a bit closer to center...but now my track bar and drag link are not parallel to each other. Should I go back to the stock pitman arm now?
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.5" Fabtech/Rubicon Express suspention lift, 33" TOYO Open Country M/T's, S&B Cold Air Intake, custom exhaust, Rigid Industires Duallys, Poison Spyder hood louver and steering box skid, XRC winch, Currie Anti-Rock and Curectlynk steering kit, PowerStop brakes.
2005rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #63
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gonna go back to the stock pitman arm and removing the stabilizer shock. What are the pros and cons of running WITHOUT a steering stabilizer shock?
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.5" Fabtech/Rubicon Express suspention lift, 33" TOYO Open Country M/T's, S&B Cold Air Intake, custom exhaust, Rigid Industires Duallys, Poison Spyder hood louver and steering box skid, XRC winch, Currie Anti-Rock and Curectlynk steering kit, PowerStop brakes.
2005rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #64
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of running WITHOUT a steering stabilizer shock?
Assuming all tight in your front end you shouldn't feel much difference, although you are potentially subjecting the steering components to more stress than you would if you ran one and over time that could cause parts to wear faster.
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #65
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks mrblaine! I will check that next but for now I went ahead and replaced the track bar with an adjustable one and got the steering a bit closer to center...but now my track bar and drag link are not parallel to each other. Should I go back to the stock pitman arm now?
If you just replaced the track bar, and didn't move any mounting locations, and it is the same length, then the drag link and TB should still be parallel. It doesn't matter that the TB has bends in it, its about the overall angle.
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #66
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Been away for a bit. Forgot how much I missed JFTJ tech, now I remember. This thread is so full of win.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #67
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gonna go back to the stock pitman arm and removing the stabilizer shock. What are the pros and cons of running WITHOUT a steering stabilizer shock?
I've been running without for 3 years or so..... Tie rod ends tend to become a wear item with no stabilizer.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #68
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 View Post
Blaine, I totally forgot what an a$$hole you and several others are on this board. I'm going back to never posting again. THAT is why people will stop buying products from you. You're an a$$hole. I apologize for not seeing the beautifully accurate pic of his drop bracket. Obviously, both drop bracket and pitman should be removed. Oh, and since you're the f**king genius, why didn't you mention that bumpsteer and DW are best avoided by having the drag link and trac bar NEAR aligned, but not perfectly aligned. Who's the idiot now? You are. I'm never helping anyone out on this f**king board again. You complete losers sit at your computer all day instead of going outside and actually doing something. What a life.
I just bought, steering, 8 control arms, and front brakes. I dont care how big of an A$$ he is as long at the parts work. Oh and they were shipped in about 4 hours of placing the order. I hate ordering from people like this.

Thanks Blaine and Gerald.
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #69
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine's nearly bolt on hydro assist was the most engineering aftermarket part I have ever put on... Everything fit perfect, shipped promptly and I got lip balm!! What now!?
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #70
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
I got lip balm!!
WTF, I didnt get lip balm, a sticker or a T shirt.

Well not sure about the lip balm, it could be in the brake box that got in today.

Blaine will you fire Gerald for not sending me a sticker or T shirt with my order?
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #71
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Blaine's nearly bolt on hydro assist was the most engineering aftermarket part I have ever put on... Everything fit perfect, shipped promptly and I got lip balm!! What now!?
I'm just glad you didn't get caught when they back ordered cylinders on us. What a mess that was.

We go along with very predictable sales, do about 2 kits a week and then all of a sudden we sold 4 in one day which wiped us out of parts and we had already ordered cylinders. Crap!

Glad you got yours in time.
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #72
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissas6570 View Post
WTF, I didnt get lip balm, a sticker or a T shirt.

Well not sure about the lip balm, it could be in the brake box that got in today.

Blaine will you fire Gerald for not sending me a sticker or T shirt with my order?
That's between you and Gerald, but I know if you snivel enough, he will send you something.
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #73
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Everything fit perfect, shipped promptly and I got lip balm!! What now!?
I got a glasses repair kit with my raised sway bar link brackets the other day! Gotta love the extras!
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #74
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That's between you and Gerald, but I know if you snivel enough, he will send you something.
I would but I don't want to be like some of the other girls on here
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #75
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

I'm just glad you didn't get caught when they back ordered cylinders on us. What a mess that was.

We go along with very predictable sales, do about 2 kits a week and then all of a sudden we sold 4 in one day which wiped us out of parts and we had already ordered cylinders. Crap!

Glad you got yours in time.
Man- luckily I got one just in time! And I live in ga and still got it promptly after realizing that your cylinder is specifically made for the steering stab bracket with the hardware.

Yeah the extras are just a nice touch- the new psc box, psc ram and currie steering is like driving a car with 35's!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
steering , steering alignment , steering clunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.