Steering issues after upgrade - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering issues after upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #46
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post

Then perhaps you also know my friend who came up with a new name for his trade, based on the merging his 2 professions...he was an Analyst and Therapist...
I"ve witnessed your chronic cranial/rectal inversion, but didn't realize you had someone who could help you with it. There may be hope yet.

Unread 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #47
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I"ve witnessed your chronic cranial/rectal inversion, but didn't realize you had someone who could help you with it. There may be hope yet.
his business card reads "Analrapist"

:badump:
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #48
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
his business card reads "Analrapist"

:badump:
That joke is so fresh it hurts.

Badump.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #49
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lol
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #50
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

All put back, torqued and aligned! ..and yes, I put the red stabalizer back on...LOL!
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.5" Fabtech/Rubicon Express suspention lift, 33" TOYO Open Country M/T's, S&B Cold Air Intake, custom exhaust, Rigid Industires Duallys, Poison Spyder hood louver and steering box skid, XRC winch, Currie Anti-Rock and Curectlynk steering kit, PowerStop brakes.
2005rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #51
marlowequart
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It probably doesnt have anything to do with your problem, but im curious if you can turn your wheel all the way to the right without interference from your stabilizer. It doesnt look like there is much of the shaft hanging out even when your wheels are straight
marlowequart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #52
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Stabilizer clears by over 2". How about adjusting the steering wheel from the shaft sleeve located right before the gear box?
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.5" Fabtech/Rubicon Express suspention lift, 33" TOYO Open Country M/T's, S&B Cold Air Intake, custom exhaust, Rigid Industires Duallys, Poison Spyder hood louver and steering box skid, XRC winch, Currie Anti-Rock and Curectlynk steering kit, PowerStop brakes.
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #53
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005rubi View Post
Stabilizer clears by over 2". How about adjusting the steering wheel from the shaft sleeve located right before the gear box?
How about adjusting the drag link sleeve like you've already been told?
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #54
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
How about adjusting the drag link sleeve like you've already been told?
THIS^^^

clg82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #55
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post

THIS^^^
And like I already told you, it's maxed out!
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #56
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And like I already told you, it's maxed out!
Then you've done something wrong.
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #57
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So I took her off road this past weekend and the steering did flawlessly! Only thing is that the steering wheel is off centered...that's it. DRAG LINK IS MAXED OUT. Is it worth uninstalling and reinstalling everything??? but will I be back at square one with a off centered steering wheel. The initial instalation of the tie rod and drag link went fine and everything was right on after the first alignment. Something slipped or lossened up. Where do you suggest I start? At the steering box? The shaft? Is there a way of removing the steeing wheel with out the air bag going off?
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #58
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I took her off road this past weekend and the steering did flawlessly! Only thing is that the steering wheel is off centered...that's it. Is it worth uninstalling and reinstalling everything??? but will I be back at square one with a off centered steering wheel. The initial instalation of the tie rod and drag link went fine and everything was right on after the first alignment. Something slipped or lossened up. Where do you suggest I start? At the steering box? The shaft? Is there a way of removing the steeing wheel with out the air bag going off?
Was it off center before you went off roading? If so, then you either bent something or something is loose. Assuming nothing bent or loose the steering wheel is recentered using the adjustment sleeve on the draglink.
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #59
Patrick H

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is there a way of removing the steeing wheel with out the air bag going off?
You have to remove the air bag to remove the steering wheel. But, there isn't anything there that can change.
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #60
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If the steering wheel was off after you did the flexing it sounds like the draglink bolts were loose and jumped a few threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
steering , steering alignment , steering clunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.