Steering issues after upgrade - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering issues after upgrade

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #16
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Replacing the bushing on the axle mount from the track bar. It was toast. I'm also gonna look deeper into that steering sleeve. Taking it all in. Thank y'all so much for your inputs. It's helping out a lot. Keep Jeepin!

forumrunner_20130302_230811.jpg

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.5" Fabtech/Rubicon Express suspention lift, 33" TOYO Open Country M/T's, S&B Cold Air Intake, custom exhaust, Rigid Industires Duallys, Poison Spyder hood louver and steering box skid, XRC winch, Currie Anti-Rock and Curectlynk steering kit, PowerStop brakes.
2005rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 View Post
Imped is mostly right. For some reason I thought you had a bigger lift, but if you only have a 3.5" lift like it says in your profile, I would go back to a factory Pitman too. If you don;t have one, I think they're only about $25 and you really should swap it out. While you're doing it, you might be able to search around and find out what is bent/loose. I think Imped and I totally agree on that. Now it's up to you to find it. Keep us updated on what you find!
That's awesome advice. Were you going to also tell him to remove the drop bracket at the frame side trackbar mount or were you going to giggle a lot when he started complaining about the bumpsteer you just gave him?
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
metomwhou
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
That's awesome advice. Were you going to also tell him to remove the drop bracket at the frame side trackbar mount or were you going to giggle a lot when he started complaining about the bumpsteer you just gave him?
I don't care who you are, thats funny right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthevoices77 View Post
I tried that once. My wife got pissed! I now know not to post muff pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogduff View Post
This is the internet sweetie. Guys are guys, girls are guys, and girls that wanna meet up in real life are FBI agents.
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Funny guy! I'm not going to go back to the stock pitman arm because everything is lined up precisely (drag link/track bar) and before with the stock pitman arm it was way off. Gonna check the sleeve today and hopefully fix the off centered steering wheel. One thing I'm thinking of doing is disconnecting the pitman arm and readjust the steering wheel from the gear box <<< is that recommended?
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 3.5" Fabtech/Rubicon Express suspention lift, 33" TOYO Open Country M/T's, S&B Cold Air Intake, custom exhaust, Rigid Industires Duallys, Poison Spyder hood louver and steering box skid, XRC winch, Currie Anti-Rock and Curectlynk steering kit, PowerStop brakes.
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Please check your steering box. If you left a bolt out, it could have damaged your steering box mount. It happened to me once, when I left a bolt out after changing my steering box skid.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
Please check your steering box. If you left a bolt out, it could have damaged your steering box mount. It happened to me once, when I left a bolt out after changing my steering box skid.
I'm thinking that might have happened since ALL this happened after I came off that block. What did you have to do to fix it?
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005rubi View Post
Funny guy! I'm not going to go back to the stock pitman arm because everything is lined up precisely (drag link/track bar) and before with the stock pitman arm it was way off. Gonna check the sleeve today and hopefully fix the off centered steering wheel. One thing I'm thinking of doing is disconnecting the pitman arm and readjust the steering wheel from the gear box <<< is that recommended?
Waste of time. The input shaft is keyed so it only goes on one way, the intermediate shaft is keyed at both ends so it only goes on one way, the steering wheel is keyed so it only goes on one way, and the pitman arm is keyed in 4 spots so it can only be put on in 90 increments. Since it only moves the pitman about 90 lock to lock, it's impossible to install it incorrectly.

You have something loose, worn, damaged or incorrectly installed. Do the dry steering test to rule out the obvious, then do it with engine running to add some load and rule out the obvious again and go from there.

You should also swap out the metric bolts in the tie rod clamps for 3/8's fine thread Grade 8 so you can point the bolts horizontal and get some clearance at the track bar mount on the axle.
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No. You cannot center the steering wheel that way. The pitman arm is keyed to the output shaft and the steering linkage is also keyed to the input of the steering gear. Just turn the adjuster sleeve on the drag link to recenter the steering wheel.
durango-bob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
WhiteMtnJeep
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
mrblaine said what he did because normally the track bar and pitman drops are used together. They keep your geometry in the recommended relationship. When that relationship is not maintained you can get "bumpsteer". The trackbar and drag link should be as close to parallel as possible.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
CTB54
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the photo of the steering box, it looks like their could have been some movment at the frame mounting boss's
CTB54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
2005rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
Can you post some pics of the track bar ends and brackets. I'm still thinking that your problem is there.
This was a problem. I must have busted the nut flag on the trail and this caused the bolt to loosen. I am in the process of replacing the bushing and hardware with a bigger set from Rubicon Express. I just had to drill out a larger hole for the bigger bolt. Does anyone have some advise on how to press the new bushing in. I've tried a vise and now a c-clamp type press but it just won't go in with all the lube in the world. Is there a bench type press or should I just remove the entire track bar and take it to a shop to press. I hear NAPA does it but I wonder how much they would charge $$$$???
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Most places like NAPA that have a shop will do it for minimal cost. Something like $10. I used them to press one my axle shaft bearings in the past.
durango-bob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
1999TJRED85000

Quote:
Blaine, I totally forgot what an a$$hole you and several others are on this board. I'm going back to never posting again. THAT is why people will stop buying products from you. You're an a$$hole. I apologize for not seeing the beautifully accurate pic of his drop bracket. Obviously, both drop bracket and pitman should be removed. Oh, and since you're the f**king genius, why didn't you mention that bumpsteer and DW are best avoided by having the drag link and trac bar NEAR aligned, but not perfectly aligned. Who's the idiot now? You are. I'm never helping anyone out on this f**king board again. You complete losers sit at your computer all day instead of going outside and actually doing something. What a life.
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Blaine, I totally forgot what an a$$hole you and several others are on this board. I'm going back to never posting again. THAT is why people will stop buying products from you. You're an a$$hole. I apologize for not seeing the beautifully accurate pic of his drop bracket. Obviously, both drop bracket and pitman should be removed. Oh, and since you're the f**king genius, why didn't you mention that bumpsteer and DW are best avoided by having the drag link and trac bar NEAR aligned, but not perfectly aligned. Who's the idiot now? You are. I'm never helping anyone out on this f**king board again. You complete losers sit at your computer all day instead of going outside and actually doing something. What a life.

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Although there are some experienced Jeep people on here, the guys on here are mostly complete morons and will repeat solutions that they've heard with no regard for your specific situation. Don't waste your time with the dry test or whatever cr@p those guys suggested. It sounds like your drag link is coming loose or something is moving under stress. If your alignment shop is not accustomed to lifted Jeeps, they might not catch it because it looks normal when not compressed or extended.

The best way to analyze this (if I can help) is to see a list of all components that you put a wrench on or replaced, and see some pics. The pics need to be full frontal upward, so I can see the entire tie rod, drag link, trac bar, pitman, etc. (Think knuckle to knuckle) And maybe some pics of the tie rod ends, knuckles, and other joints in the steering. The effect you described sounds like something that happens when a tie rod rotates (jam nuts come loose) but the Currie usually won't do that. Post pics and I'll see what I can do.
Quote:
Imped is mostly right. For some reason I thought you had a bigger lift, but if you only have a 3.5" lift like it says in your profile, I would go back to a factory Pitman too. If you don;t have one, I think they're only about $25 and you really should swap it out. While you're doing it, you might be able to search around and find out what is bent/loose. I think Imped and I totally agree on that. Now it's up to you to find it. Keep us updated on what you find!
Quote:
Here are some pics of the set up. I do have a drop pitman btw...Thanks so much for your help!

Quote:
You opened the door and walked through it with your original statement and then followed it up by making a fool of yourself. That's all on you buddy and if you don't like having your nose rubbed in the mess, don't make the mess.

Telling someone NOT to do the dry steering test (in your own words)
While you're doing it, you might be able to search around and find out what is bent/loose, is absurd. It's about the easiest way possible to find something loose and immediately find or rule out the obvious.

Tags
steering , steering alignment , steering clunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.