steering gearbox adjustment, possible??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > steering gearbox adjustment, possible???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
anarchyfor2
1985 CJ7 

steering gearbox adjustment, possible???

hey guys, recently purchased a 97 tj 2.5 that has a 4" superlift on it. one thing that has bothered me since ive had it is the slop or play in the steering wheel.i have spoken to a few friend and "shadetree" mechanics, and have had several people tell me that alot of gearboxes have adjustment nuts on the top for taking out some of the play. is this true in the wranglers case, and if not what direction could i look. i have ordered a stabilizer because the old one looked shot, so that will be my first pic. thanks in advance for any info.

Unread 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes there is an adjuster screw and lock nut but, it's not there really for You to play with! Check all of your steering components for looseness, draglink tie rod. check for ball joint wear, worn u-joints, excessive bearing movement. Tighten everything! Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

CAUTION: Steering gear must be adjusted in the
proper order. If adjustments are not performed in
order, gear damage and improper steering response
may result.
NOTE: Adjusting the steering gear in the vehicle is
not recommended. Remove gear from the vehicle
and drain the fluid. Then mount gear in a vise to
perform adjustments.
This is why you need to check everything else thoroughly. Have a friend help you by turning steering wheel while you inspect underneath! Good luck!

Last edited by GOLENJEEPTJ; 11-10-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: add
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
anarchyfor2
1985 CJ7 

okay, well, i have just picked up the zj tie rod that i need to put in so i will have my eyes open while doing that , thanks. hopefully its something ill be able to see, im sorta new at this. any tell tale signs that with jump out at me?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.