Steering feels soft after lift kit install - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering feels soft after lift kit install

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #31
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Way too high pressure. Also you should be at zero-just in on the toe.
No, toe should be set at about 1/16 "in" with a 31" tire.

scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #32
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
I have always herd that the tow-in should be at 1/16"-1/8".
The toe is subjective, like almost everything else on any given Jeep. 1/8" is a starting point, and it's worth mentioning that the 1/8" is measured under the assumption of a 35" tire. Some people run 5/32", some 1/32". It's trial and error, sometimes. Different tire/wheel combinations perform in different ways on different Jeeps.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #33
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder

I have always herd that the tow-in should be at 1/16"-1/8".
Have you also HEARD that about the TOE?
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

The toe is subjective, like almost everything else on any given Jeep. 1/8" is a starting point, and it's worth mentioning that the 1/8" is measured under the assumption of a 35" tire. Some people run 5/32", some 1/32". It's trial and error, sometimes. Different tire/wheel combinations perform in different ways on different Jeeps.
That's right. Usually zero to a hair in. 1/16" is a hair IMO. I have got to where I set my toe 1/16th out then drive then adjust it in 1/8 turn on the collar then drive again, and repeat till I get the road feel I like. I have found it to be 1/16th-1/8th in between 31-37" tires.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallwm View Post
Gentleman please this is not a contentious issue. I asked about these cam alignment bolts when I purchased the kit and was told they SHOULD not be necessary but it sounds like they could be the trick.
My first lift was a 2" BB.

It felt like it was all over the road, slow return to center.

I installed the cam bolts and it was perfect.

My Jeep's never been on an alignment rack.

I just used eyeball and angle gauge to set the caster.

Maybe I just got lucky.
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #36
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't bother with Jack stands and removing the tire/wheels for toe and this way I know I am at ride height . Your caster should not be that far off with just a few inches of lift to cause the issue you seem to have . Most shops insist on setting caster at OE specs which is more than most of us require being you need less as you go up in tire size to a certain point . toe 1/16 to 1/8 is fine . Both caster and Toe can be set at home . get used to doing it owning a Jeep you are always changing things that effect at least toe. here is a pic of how I do it . you can pick up all you need at Home depot including an angle finder to set caster . you can refine your tools as you learn .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #37
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2
I don't bother with Jack stands and removing the tire/wheels for toe and this way I know I am at ride height.
That's the ticket!. Thanks for the pic.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross , lift kits , steering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.