Steering feels soft after lift kit install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering feels soft after lift kit install

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
There's a good write-up on Setting the toe on Stu Olson's site.
If you want to double check the toe-in you can use this write-up, but instead of painting the tires, use the outer edge of the tread as the measuring points.

I have the same Zone 3" spring lift and used this write-up to set my toe-in. I have done nothing with the caster and my Jeep drives great.

Unread 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
wallwm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gentleman please this is not a contentious issue. Your comments are well taken. I asked about these cam alignment bolts when I purchased the kit and was told they SHOULD not be necessary but it sounds like they could be the trick. Since the Jeep alignment is within stock spec for caster, when I get and install these bolts what should i have the caster adjusted too? I am going to call Zone in the morning and see what they have to offer.

My only disappointment is it will cost me another $57 to get the alignment done again. I trust the shop I go to but they may not have experience with a lifted Jeep like what I did.

I will report back on what fixes the problem so others like me can learn.

Thanks everyone!
wallwm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallwm
I just installed a Cross 3.5" lift kit and Goodyear Duratrac 31x10.5-15 with new 15x8 rims on my 2000 TJ. The install went GREAT! No problems with the kit or the support.

I now seem to have very soft and super sentitive steering. It is like I have super power steering. My wife will not drive it because she connot control it when on the highway. You have to be very in control when changing lanes or you could lose it. I rechecked all bolt tightness and also checked for anything lose or with alot of play. I found nothing obvious. Is this to be expected with a lift kit? What can I check.

The Cross kit came with everything, gas shocks, springs, offsets for front & rear. Everything was installed from the kit and had it realigned by a PRO.

Thanks for any feedback.
Offsets? Pro? Why does it handle so bad if it was by a pro? Sounds to me like you have a crapload of toe out and possibly some insufficient positive camber thrown in for good measure. Add a dash of overinflated tire and your cooking!
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot68

X2... To much Caster... Also the Alignment Tech properly set the Tow to factory specs which isn't the best larger tires. Did this lift come with adjustable control arms?
No. You can't even spell toe correctly. Please do not give steering advice when you don't know what you are talking about. He wants positive caster and zero toe.
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I am running 32 PSI in the tires and yes I have a steering stabilizer with about 15K miles on it. The SS is something I was going to check tomorrow and see if it is part of the problem. I was also going to lower the pressure in two PSI increments and see if anything changes.

Thanks
Way too high pressure. Also you should be at zero-just in on the toe.
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #21
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan

No he didn't. Yours was the 4th post and he said/posted nothing about having it aligned prior.

I agree, and would start there. There's a variety of ways a guy can check the toe. There's a good write-up on Setting the toe on Stu Olson's site.
Quote:
Everything was installed from the kit and had it realigned by a PRO.
Huh???
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Gentleman please this is not a contentious issue. Your comments are well taken. I asked about these cam alignment bolts when I purchased the kit and was told they SHOULD not be necessary but it sounds like they could be the trick. Since the Jeep alignment is within stock spec for caster, when I get and install these bolts what should i have the caster adjusted too? I am going to call Zone in the morning and see what they have to offer.

My only disappointment is it will cost me another $57 to get the alignment done again. I trust the shop I go to but they may not have experience with a lifted Jeep like what I did.

I will report back on what fixes the problem so others like me can learn.

Thanks everyone!
You got a "bad" alignment and aren't happy and they will recharge you? Huh?
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallwm View Post
Okay, stop.

Go to the write up on Stu's site and do the alignment at home. Save the $57 and do it more accurately yourself. If you want it to be as accurate as possible, use the brake rotor surfaces...I'll leave the figuring-out of how to do that to you (try searching this forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallwm View Post
I am running 32 PSI in the tires and yes I have a steering stabilizer with about 15K miles on it. The SS is something I was going to check tomorrow and see if it is part of the problem.
Try 24 PSI.

The stabilizer is not part of the problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
If you want to double check the toe-in you can use this write-up, but instead of painting the tires, use the outer edge of the tread as the measuring points.
No. Don't do that. If tires were suitable for alignment purposes, would they be capable of flexing and distorting?

If you align to the planes of the rotor surfaces any compromise with the toe adjustment due to the tire's inconsistency is removed from the equation.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #24
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

You can use some cheap harbor freight levels and speed clamps on the rotors. With the tires off make sure your jeep is on jack stands on the axle sitting at ride height.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
You can use some cheap harbor freight levels and speed clamps on the rotors. With the tires off make sure your jeep is on jack stands on the axle sitting at ride height.
By using two equal size spacers per wheel, you can use the same levels (or other suitable straight-edges) with the wheel on. Just place the spacers so the straight edges stand away from the tire and strap the whole thing together.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
By using two equal size spacers per wheel, you can use the same levels (or other suitable straight-edges) with the wheel on. Just place the spacers so the straight edges stand away from the tire and strap the whole thing together.
Hmm...I like that thought process. I went to the rotor surface, myself, and I'm glad I did: my front end only got happy when it was set to 1/16th in. As long as the spacer is perfect, there'd be no problem...but I still think that taking the tire and wheel out of the equation is better. Just my opinion.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #27
BigTime4x4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would recommend doing it yourself. Do not waste time and money taking to a shop to get realligned. I took mine to a shop with an allignment rack and my wheels are offset so much with big tires, they couldnt use the rack properly. charged me $75 and the steering wheel is way off. I ended up redoing everything myself and it travels down the road strait as an arrow.
BigTime4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Mine was the fifth post and the op clearly stated that the alignment was done by a "PRO" in post #1.

I'm leaning toward a caster issue, too, fwiw.
I knew that, yeah, saw it the first time...just checking to see who's paying attention. Nope, wasn't a senior moment. Criminy sakes, Wrinkle Ranch - here I come.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #29
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
No. You can't even spell toe correctly. Please do not give steering advice when you don't know what you are talking about. He wants positive caster and zero toe.

I simply read the post wrong, I thought the OP said he "needs super power steering".. Regardless the OP's issue as is most likely incorrect Caster and/or Toe. I didn't realize we were being graded on proper spelling/grammar! I appreciate you taking time to point that out. Wow tough crowd!!
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #30
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I have always herd that the tow-in should be at 1/16"-1/8".

Tags
cross , lift kits , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.