Steering feels soft after lift kit install - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
wallwm
Newbie
 
wallwm's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7
Steering feels soft after lift kit install

I just installed a Cross 3.5" lift kit and Goodyear Duratrac 31x10.5-15 with new 15x8 rims on my 2000 TJ. The install went GREAT! No problems with the kit or the support.

I now seem to have very soft and super sentitive steering. It is like I have super power steering. My wife will not drive it because she connot control it when on the highway. You have to be very in control when changing lanes or you could lose it. I rechecked all bolt tightness and also checked for anything lose or with alot of play. I found nothing obvious. Is this to be expected with a lift kit? What can I check.

The Cross kit came with everything, gas shocks, springs, offsets for front & rear. Everything was installed from the kit and had it realigned by a PRO.

Thanks for any feedback.

wallwm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM
grnsporty
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 183
Did you put a drop pitman arm on? if so take it off. I believe your complaining about bumpsteer.
grnsporty is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 05:49 PM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 18,730
Bumpsteer? No. Did you get an alignment after lift?

Dakar Style Rally Raid in North America: www.sonorarally.com
biffgnar is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
grnsporty
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Bumpsteer? No. Did you get an alignment after lift?
He said he had it aligned after the lift. How is it not bumpsteer? I used to have it when I had a drop pitman arm and it was sensitive.
grnsporty is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
My first thought was the the OP offered a really , um, "unusual"?, description for bumpsteer, too.

Pics of the steering taken from in front at diff level so that the front pumpkin blocks the view of the rear will help us help you, wallwm.

Edit: WTF is a "Cross 3.5" lift" and where did you get it? Granted, I didn't look too hard, but I couldn't find anything under "Cross" for suspension or lifts via Google. A link and parts list and pics will help

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Keith_C
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Anna
Posts: 833
Caster.
Keith_C is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM
scot68
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mesa
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Caster.
X2... To much Caster... Also the Alignment Tech properly set the Tow to factory specs which isn't the best larger tires. Did this lift come with adjustable control arms?
scot68 is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
wallwm
Newbie
 
wallwm's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7
Thanks for the feedback. I had an OF moment. The kit was a Zone ZONJ2N. No it does not have a dropped Pitman Arm as asked above. I have not heard of bumpsteer. Interesting term, I will look into it. A local profession shop who does Jeep alignments said only toe in was off as expected all else was well within factory Jeep specs. Pending other comments I will post some pictures.

The Zone kit is at http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=21&gr=-1

Thanks for the feedback and pardone my OF moment.
wallwm is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Cuder
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,726
What tire pressures are you running? Do you have a steering stabilizer?
Cuder is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
wallwm
Newbie
 
wallwm's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 7
I am running 32 PSI in the tires and yes I have a steering stabilizer with about 15K miles on it. The SS is something I was going to check tomorrow and see if it is part of the problem. I was also going to lower the pressure in two PSI increments and see if anything changes.

Thanks
wallwm is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Sounds to me like improper toe adjustment, which can make it wander a lot...and also a caster issue, perhaps. It's not bumpsteer.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM
dla
Member
 
dla's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Caster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot68 View Post
X2... To much Caster... Also the Alignment Tech properly set the Tow to factory specs which isn't the best larger tires. Did this lift come with adjustable control arms?
X3...

Actually, not enough caster. Caster angle decreases as the Jeep is raised.

Too little caster results in light steering, wandering and problems with steering returning to center after a turn. Can be adjusted +/- 1.5° by adding alignment cam bolts on the front lower control arms, more with adjustable arms.

As stated on the Zone link you provided... "J5311 - Alignment cams are recommended if your vehicle didn't come from the factory with front cam bolts."
Attached Thumbnails
tla-tj-cambolt.jpg  
dla is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsporty View Post
He said he had it aligned after the lift. How is it not bumpsteer? I used to have it when I had a drop pitman arm and it was sensitive.
No he didn't. Yours was the 4th post and he said/posted nothing about having it aligned prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Sounds to me like improper toe adjustment, which can make it wander a lot...and also a caster issue, perhaps. It's not bumpsteer.
I agree, and would start there. There's a variety of ways a guy can check the toe. There's a good write-up on Setting the toe on Stu Olson's site.
RaggedOleMan is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
grnsporty
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallwm View Post
I just installed a Cross 3.5" lift kit and Goodyear Duratrac 31x10.5-15 with new 15x8 rims on my 2000 TJ. The install went GREAT! No problems with the kit or the support.

I now seem to have very soft and super sentitive steering. It is like I have super power steering. My wife will not drive it because she connot control it when on the highway. You have to be very in control when changing lanes or you could lose it. I rechecked all bolt tightness and also checked for anything lose or with alot of play. I found nothing obvious. Is this to be expected with a lift kit? What can I check.

The Cross kit came with everything, gas shocks, springs, offsets for front & rear. Everything was installed from the kit and had it realigned by a PRO.
Thanks for any feedback.
Umm yea it did but whatever dude no need to start a pissing match.
grnsporty is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan

No he didn't. Yours was the 4th post and he said/posted nothing about having it aligned prior.
Mine was the fifth post and the op clearly stated that the alignment was done by a "PRO" in post #1.

I'm leaning toward a caster issue, too, fwiw.

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
Reply

Tags
cross , lift kits , steering

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Steering feels almost like im in 4wd...? mystangt TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 06-02-2011 07:17 PM
Feels something loose in steering marzak4d JK Wrangler Technical Forum 4 07-18-2009 10:55 PM
Steering feels sloppy after a new lift?? HitIt TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 05-21-2007 01:55 PM
Steering feels light!!! blacktj TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 01-15-2006 10:34 PM
Steering Feels weird.. The Fuzz YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 4 07-18-2004 10:45 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome