Steering feels soft after lift kit install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering feels soft after lift kit install

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
wallwm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Steering feels soft after lift kit install

I just installed a Cross 3.5" lift kit and Goodyear Duratrac 31x10.5-15 with new 15x8 rims on my 2000 TJ. The install went GREAT! No problems with the kit or the support.

I now seem to have very soft and super sentitive steering. It is like I have super power steering. My wife will not drive it because she connot control it when on the highway. You have to be very in control when changing lanes or you could lose it. I rechecked all bolt tightness and also checked for anything lose or with alot of play. I found nothing obvious. Is this to be expected with a lift kit? What can I check.

The Cross kit came with everything, gas shocks, springs, offsets for front & rear. Everything was installed from the kit and had it realigned by a PRO.

Thanks for any feedback.

wallwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you put a drop pitman arm on? if so take it off. I believe your complaining about bumpsteer.
grnsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Bumpsteer? No. Did you get an alignment after lift?
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Bumpsteer? No. Did you get an alignment after lift?
He said he had it aligned after the lift. How is it not bumpsteer? I used to have it when I had a drop pitman arm and it was sensitive.
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My first thought was the the OP offered a really , um, "unusual"?, description for bumpsteer, too.

Pics of the steering taken from in front at diff level so that the front pumpkin blocks the view of the rear will help us help you, wallwm.

Edit: WTF is a "Cross 3.5" lift" and where did you get it? Granted, I didn't look too hard, but I couldn't find anything under "Cross" for suspension or lifts via Google. A link and parts list and pics will help
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Caster.
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Caster.
X2... To much Caster... Also the Alignment Tech properly set the Tow to factory specs which isn't the best larger tires. Did this lift come with adjustable control arms?
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
wallwm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. I had an OF moment. The kit was a Zone ZONJ2N. No it does not have a dropped Pitman Arm as asked above. I have not heard of bumpsteer. Interesting term, I will look into it. A local profession shop who does Jeep alignments said only toe in was off as expected all else was well within factory Jeep specs. Pending other comments I will post some pictures.

The Zone kit is at http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=21&gr=-1

Thanks for the feedback and pardone my OF moment.
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What tire pressures are you running? Do you have a steering stabilizer?
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
wallwm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am running 32 PSI in the tires and yes I have a steering stabilizer with about 15K miles on it. The SS is something I was going to check tomorrow and see if it is part of the problem. I was also going to lower the pressure in two PSI increments and see if anything changes.

Thanks
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like improper toe adjustment, which can make it wander a lot...and also a caster issue, perhaps. It's not bumpsteer.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
dla
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Caster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot68 View Post
X2... To much Caster... Also the Alignment Tech properly set the Tow to factory specs which isn't the best larger tires. Did this lift come with adjustable control arms?
X3...

Actually, not enough caster. Caster angle decreases as the Jeep is raised.

Too little caster results in light steering, wandering and problems with steering returning to center after a turn. Can be adjusted +/- 1.5° by adding alignment cam bolts on the front lower control arms, more with adjustable arms.

As stated on the Zone link you provided... "J5311 - Alignment cams are recommended if your vehicle didn't come from the factory with front cam bolts."
tla-tj-cambolt.jpg  
dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsporty View Post
He said he had it aligned after the lift. How is it not bumpsteer? I used to have it when I had a drop pitman arm and it was sensitive.
No he didn't. Yours was the 4th post and he said/posted nothing about having it aligned prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Sounds to me like improper toe adjustment, which can make it wander a lot...and also a caster issue, perhaps. It's not bumpsteer.
I agree, and would start there. There's a variety of ways a guy can check the toe. There's a good write-up on Setting the toe on Stu Olson's site.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallwm View Post
I just installed a Cross 3.5" lift kit and Goodyear Duratrac 31x10.5-15 with new 15x8 rims on my 2000 TJ. The install went GREAT! No problems with the kit or the support.

I now seem to have very soft and super sentitive steering. It is like I have super power steering. My wife will not drive it because she connot control it when on the highway. You have to be very in control when changing lanes or you could lose it. I rechecked all bolt tightness and also checked for anything lose or with alot of play. I found nothing obvious. Is this to be expected with a lift kit? What can I check.

The Cross kit came with everything, gas shocks, springs, offsets for front & rear. Everything was installed from the kit and had it realigned by a PRO.
Thanks for any feedback.
Umm yea it did but whatever dude no need to start a pissing match.
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan

No he didn't. Yours was the 4th post and he said/posted nothing about having it aligned prior.
Mine was the fifth post and the op clearly stated that the alignment was done by a "PRO" in post #1.

I'm leaning toward a caster issue, too, fwiw.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross , lift kits , steering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.