Steering box Trouble continues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering box Trouble continues

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Steering box Trouble continues

Well my little leak from my steering box has gone from a few drips a night to a nice size puddle every few hours. It looks like I will be needing to swap it out. Unfortunatly, like most people. I just can't afford a new one so I have been calling local scap yards. So far I found 1 on Long Island and they wanted $250 for it. Which I thought was a little high for a used part. Anyway I was hoping to find a scrap yard that is listed on the internet and willing to ship it to me. Does anyone know of a place I could contact?

Are all TJ years a direct bolt on or are there different models I have to be concerned with?

Does anyone have an extra one they are willing to seperate with?

Thanks for the help.

Hinch45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can get a rebuilt box from any of the parts stores for less than 200.
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

FYI, I just got a new steering pump w/o the resevoir and it was like 160 or more cant remember. Paid a guy 25 bucks to put it on that works at a shop in town Anyways, fastfoward 1 month into it and it starts leaking. Another 5 months go by and its still leaking cause i dont have the time or money to get another one , even though its lifetime warranty.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can't find a rebuilt box anywhere in my neck of the woods, I have called every place around. Do you know of any places that will ship it?
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I don't know if the TJ boxes are similar to the YJ boxses, but mine was leaking, and I didn't have the money for a replacement box. I was able to get a seal kit, and rebuild my box for about $25. The hardest part of the whole process was getting the pitman arm off.

EDIT: forgot to add this; Wile I had the box off and apart, I went ahead and drilled and tapped it for hydro assist(didn't have to worry about getting shavings in the box, as I was able to just clean it out before I reassembled it). I don't have the ram or lines yet, but when I pick them up, all I'll have to do is mount the ram, hook up the lines, and bleed the system.

Last edited by muddy93; 06-28-2010 at 09:15 AM..
muddy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced mine, was $140 for a rebuilt unit, from Auto Zone. It's a pita of a job, no way I'd put a used box in for the amount of labor involved.

Order it online, I'm pretty sure they will ship one.

Figure on replacing both lines, as they likely won't come off without twisting. Mine didn't. And I broke the plastic fitting on the PS pump reservoir - my own stupidity on that one. But that fitting isn't very rugged, if you ask me. :|

Good luck
Pete
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Ghaniba
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
And I broke the plastic fitting on the PS pump reservoir - my own stupidity on that one. But that fitting isn't very rugged, if you ask me. :|

I had the exact same thing happen! I pulled the squeeze clap off and gave it a twist and snap! Glad I wasn't the only one!

I would suggest getting the durango steering box upgrade, if you're already suffering. I got the steering box from Advance Auto, along with both hoses. When I broke the pump, I found it locally for $100, reman from autozone.

I'd be shocked if your local parts places can't get one for you... Mine will order anything they don't stock and have it in a day or two.

Dave aka Ghan
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have an opinion about Fanco Vs Atsco replacement steering boxes? Which is better?
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
riscal33
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just did this myself about a month ago and it is absolutely a giant PITA. You are not going to want to do it again. With that said PSC makes great boxes new and reman.

90-02' Jeep YJ,TJ,XJ Steering gear-SG251 : Gears and Components, Jeep | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components

They also offer an Xtreme Duty box with a bigger piston that is completely brand new. Its a little more expensive at $399. I just put one in and I love it. I ordered from quadratec and it was on my step the next day.
riscal33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Hinch45
2000 TJ Wrangler 

PSC are very expensive, I do little to moderate offroading. a simple replacement would be fine with me. Thanks to you guys I founfd out that both Advance Auto and Autozone both have replacement boxes One sells Fenco and the other sell Atsco. WHich is better? Or do I keep looking for an OEM replacemnt from a junk yard?
Unread 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Like I said above, I personally would not put in a junkyard box. It could leak in 2 months. Check the warranties on both the Advance and Auto Zone units, and go with whichever one looks better to you, or is easier or closer to you. I don't have any personal knowledge of the 2 brands, but I would not put in a junkyard box. It's not an easy or fun job, and is just not worth the risk in time TO ME to put in something that may or may not be any good, IMHO.

But, like anything, your mileage may vary.

Good luck
Pete
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
56stretch
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Pete above. I just changed mine out three weeks ago and AutoZone had the best deal going. I even borrowed a pitman arm puller from them. It wasn't too bad of a job, maybe an hour and a half.
56stretch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Rjnol

Keep an eye on your local craigslist, i found a brand new PSC gear box for $150 from another jeep guy
Rjnol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What exactly is leaking? A power steering box is quite simple to take apart and put back together....I did it by just looking at it so you should be able to replace whatever needs to be replaced with ease.
Unread 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
cnt487
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I say get an upgrade out of a Durango from your local parts yard. They're supposed to be significantly more durable than the OEM ones. I'm about to be doing this job myself on my TJ.
cnt487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
steering box , leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.