Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering box

803 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Ej132 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a question about my 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. The steering is pretty sloppy and my mechanic said I need a new Steering box. I have done some searches and I read that the Durango steering boxes are nice but that they can only be used on the V8s???. I am looking to get this taken care of ASAP so I don't feel like I am all over the road when I am driving it. I don't do off roading much and I don't have a lift. Everything is stock. Any help would really be appreciated! One more thing, I have something that feels like a "pop" sometimes when I turn the steering wheel. I can feel it through the floor! It doesn't happen all the time. I read that it could be the sway bar links? If so is that something I can do myself without an alignment. I realize I will have to get an alignment when I replace the steering box though.

#2 ·
I replaced my steering box with a Durango one. It is a direct bolt-in for 2002 and earlier (2003 and later requires a few minutes of cutting and welding to move a mount). V8 just refers to which Durangos to look for - 1998-1999 Durango with V8. No snow plow package is desired, but the only difference is the snow plow package version is the same number of turns lock-to-lock as your stock box, while the non-snow plow one is "quicker" (fewer turns). I have the snow plow one, and I like the ratio.

The Durango box gives you more turning power (bigger piston), but you may notice it feeling slower, especially if your power steering pump is a little tired.

Makesure you get a good brand of remanufactured box. A1 Cardone is crap, as is most other parts-store house brands. I am happy so far with my AC Delco Professional (got it at rockauto.com). I also tried a Lares, but it was actually the smaller piston one (defeats the purpose).

Yes, you will need an alignment, but you can do it yourself with a tape measure and a wrench.

#3 ·
If you don't have any mods you may want to consider going back with a stock replacement box.

The steering box doesn't care what engine you have.

Sway bar links are an easy bolt-on replacement that doesn't effect your alignment.

There is no reason you should need an alignment after replacing your steering box, you're not messing with any of the adjustments.
That being said, you can easily check the alignment your self. There are several good threads on JF that will tell you how.

#4 ·
If you don't have any mods you may want to consider going back with a stock replacement box.

The steering box doesn't are what engine you have.

Sway bar links are an easy bolt-on replacement that doesn't effect your alignment.

There is no reason you should need an alignment after replacing your steering box, you're not messing with any of the adjustments.
That being said, you can easily check the alignment your self. There are several good threads on JF that will tell you how.
I agree with you on the OP not needing the Durango box. However, you definitely need to check your toe when you switch box types (mine changed going from the Mercedes to the Saginaw, as they put the Pitman arm at a slightly different height). It's easy and worth checking.

#7 ·
So the durango box with no snow plow option is close to the ratio (# of turns lock to lock) to that of the stock box? Ive wanted to do this but worried about getting twitchier steering from the ratio difference. And the point of getting the durango box is itll handle turning my 35x12.5 nicer? Guess my confusion is that getting a bigger box will have more torque for turning but will be slower, just not sure how that makes it feel or act. Though if it helped having to do lots of corrections going down the road cause of its slower and stronger Id like that

#8 ·
The plow option is 3-3/8 turns lock to lock, which is the same as a stock TJ. The non-plow option is 2-15/16 turns lock to lock, which is a little quicker. I tried both at various times, and the non-plow one felt a bit "twitchier", but not so much that you don't get used to it after a little while.

The point of the Durango box is it has a larger piston, which gives you more available torque for turning. You will probably notice the difference off-road, when you wedge a tire up against a rock and have to push away from it. On-road, there's really not much advantage to the Durango box, and you may feel it is slightly slower to respond as compared to stock, but not so much that you don't get used to it.

#9 ·
so your Mechanic says you need a new box?? Why? Did he/ she explain.

If that jeep has not been wheeled hard or had bigger tires I highly doubt your Box is done. I would get a second opinion. Most likely other steering components that are worn.

just my .02 cents ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.