Staying warm with top off-anyone ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Staying warm with top off-anyone ideas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Staying warm with top off-anyone ideas

Well, going out early in the morning when it is 35-40F degrees on a long highway ride to get to my hunting spot and my AC doesn't work. It gets hot in the day for the return trip 90+F. I don't feel like freezing my arms off again this year and don't want to put my hardtop up because the ride home will be hot. I know they make a windjammer part, but being tall, I think you need to keep the seats pulled forward to make it fit/work. See how my seat is back for my long legs. I have a safari top on the jeep, so the top is covered all the way back. I thought about just buying a shower curtain and zip tying it in place then cutting it out for the return trip. To keep me and my dog warm in the cab area. Problem is it looks like air might rush in the upper corners at the rear of my door surounds and probably rip the curtain right out when I hit 70mph. Anyone have a similar situation and a fix or suggestion?? Kind of a help question and maybe a little technical???? I might be a redneck tard, but just want to do it on the cheap once a year. Thanks hopefully again.

I'll buy a windjammer if I can get my hands on one, but don't think I can have my seats pushed back.

fake-wind-jammer.jpg  
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

wear a warm coat and gloves with the heat on your feet. Thats what I do.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

There may be a Jeep answer, however this reminds me of an old boss. When I first met him, he always wore a biker leather jacket, I shrugged it off as he rode a motorcycle, once I got to know him he drove a VW bug, and the heater really didn't work. Cheapest outcome for you is to wear a a coat in the AM then enjoy the return trip without the coat.
CrzyMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
VMI Jeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Wraparound Windjammer and I have my seats pushed back all the way (I'm 6'3"). It's makes it tight but it still works.
VMI Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
sylgeist
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Heated seats! They get hot faster than the heater and it doesn't matter how much wind there is. Best cold weather thing I added.
sylgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylgeist View Post
Heated seats! They get hot faster than the heater and it doesn't matter how much wind there is. Best cold weather thing I added.
x2
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So, yep, jacket is the last resort. What about my poor ol dog. he's got fur, so I guess we might just repeat the last years. Maybe I'll let him sit up front this year. I was hoping there would be some cool a** redneck fix. Hmm, the winjammer shoved back, sounds more interesting???

Thanks for the replies!
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyMtnMan View Post
...wear a a coat in the AM then enjoy the return trip without the coat.
I agree that this is the cheapest option for a once-a-year situation.

Driving a Jeep without AC or a top is like a camping experience - you have to dress in layers and be prepared for cold and heat all in the same day.

Lately I've dealt with this in my daily commute. Cold chilly mornings that end up turning into triple digit scorchers by the afternoon, and no AC. I run with only a bikini top on the Jeep and without doors because of that. In the morning I dress in jeans and a warm fleece pullover and a thick vest on top of that to keep my core warm, and I wear a beanie or fleece hat. When I get to the office I change into light weight field clothes to better stand the heat during work and during the drive home. I haven't had the need for gloves yet, but they would have made a few morning drives more comfortable.

Get your dog a vest to wear. That would be bad***.

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

full doors + deck cover.

hot air rises and cool air drops.

deck cover keeps the convection from happening...cooler air drops into the tub and flows under the seats...where it pushes out the hot air from the engine/tranny/heater.

Windjammer is a complete waste of time. I've got one, and I only put it on once...its easier to just put the top up. You can stay warm enough without a windjammer or bikini, you just need full doors + deck cover + operational heater.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
full doors + deck cover.

hot air rises and cool air drops.

deck cover keeps the convection from happening...cooler air drops into the tub and flows under the seats...where it pushes out the hot air from the engine/tranny/heater.

Windjammer is a complete waste of time. I've got one, and I only put it on once...its easier to just put the top up. You can stay warm enough without a windjammer or bikini, you just need full doors + deck cover + operational heater.
I just remember last year with my jacket and cold stuff on my right elbow got kind of cold with the air sucking up between the seats and over the center console. Thought it would be nice this year to avoid it, maybe I'll go flashdance style and put a leg warmer over that arm.

I have full doors and the safari top I know what you mean by convection and the flow with the nice heaters we have, just that damn elbow gets cold.
Thanks as always, like all the opinions. I have some warm clothing, so that is what I have done for years, but getting over 40 chilled my bones a little.
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
Eric2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A little more expensive route to go would be a soft top. Put the windows on for the morning then take them off for the day. Plus if you got caught in bad weather youd be protected every which way.
Eric2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Low profile earmuffs sometimes makes the difference for me. And you can take them off an just slide them on the shift lever when you get to work.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #13
Cutch
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I feel for ya...really I do ...try living in Northern Ontario...a couple of years ago it was a real nice early spring day...off comes the hard top...go play hockey and then off to the pub for a couple of beers ....this is mid day...still nice out...the beers keep coming ...the wife has to come pick me up...she then drives my Jeep back to the police station so it will be safe....overnight the temperature drops quite a bit and it snows a couple of inches...in the morning it is nice and sunny but still quite cool...I am dressed warm for the drive home...windows up and the heater on...but that 2 inches of fluffy snow in my Jeep would not blow out...it just kept swirling around...I drove home in my own personal snow storm under bright sunny skies...it was quite the sight.
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just get a used softtop. I have young kids that ride in the back frequently, so a bikini or topless is not really an option for me.

I started putting my softtop back on in the spring, and zipping out the side and back windows when it gets warm enough. It keeps the rain and wind out MUCH better than a bikini or safari top, folds up very quickly and easily if you decide to go topless, and looks just like a safari top when the windows are out.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Geez.
Wear warm clothes.
Dog will be fine.

Shower curtain won't last one minute. You wouldn't be any warmer anyway.

But the REAL answer is a True Jeeper goes topless all winter with nothing more than a jacket and never complains. If he's cold, he never shows it, if he's wet and miserable he mans up and shuts up.
If you can't do that, put the top back on because you're a poser anyway.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikini top , full doors , staying warm , wind jammer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.