Staun or Trailhead Tire Deflators - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Staun or Trailhead Tire Deflators

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Staun or Trailhead Tire Deflators

Anyone used Staun? Are they any better than the Trailhead?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAUN...QQcmdZViewItem

Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Never heard of trailhead, but my Stauns sure work well.
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
luk4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have Stauns they do very well airing down. At times its sucks adjusting it for the right pressure.
But, all in all I'll give it a 4 star out of 5.

At $45.00 is a good price
IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

OK, good deal -- Stauns it is.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
TJ on the Rocks

HERE's a great comparison write-up of several deflators .

I use the TrailHead deflators , they could be a bit more precise for my tastes .

I have a wheeling friend that uses the Stauns . I kinda like them better .
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Gerg

Hint on setting the presure on the Stauns. Get your wheelbarrow (or borrow one) to set the pressure. Real quick to reset/reinflate and air down.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club #321[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg
Hint on setting the presure on the Stauns. Get your wheelbarrow (or borrow one) to set the pressure. Real quick to reset/reinflate and air down.
How would that work? Air pressure in a wheelbarrow tire, given a smaller circumference, wouldn't seem like it would transfer to Jeep tires. If I want 14lbs in my 33" BFG's, wouldn't setting all 4 Stauns at 14lbs on the same Jeep tire (using a pressure gauge to check) work fine and actually be more accurate?
I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
TJ on the Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennylou1
How would that work? Air pressure in a wheelbarrow tire, given a smaller circumference, wouldn't seem like it would transfer to Jeep tires. If I want 14lbs in my 33" BFG's, wouldn't setting all 4 Stauns at 14lbs on the same Jeep tire (using a pressure gauge to check) work fine and actually be more accurate?
It works .
I did the same with my TrailHeads .
Setting and deflating to any pressure setting on the Jeep tires takes forever .
It's real quick when using a wheelbarrow tire to set them up .

14 psi , no matter which tire is the same .
Less volume in the wheelbarrow tire = much faster set-up time .

See the paragraph just under the picture of all
the different deflators being tested on the link I posted .
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
Unread 06-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ on the Rocks
It works .
I did the same with my TrailHeads .
Setting and deflating to any pressure setting on the Jeep tires takes forever .
It's real quick when using a wheelbarrow tire to set them up .

14 psi , no matter which tire is the same .
Less volume in the wheelbarrow tire = much faster set-up time .

See the paragraph just under the picture of all
the different deflators being tested on the link I posted .
Hey, thank for the info. That's a great link, too.
Unread 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
AZG23

I just used my spare......aired down to what I wanted (10 lbs)...set..rechecked..added a few more lbs of air and verified they were at 10lbs..reair to 15 lbs (quick) and repeat on the rest

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
NavinRJohnson

You might consider the Currie EZ deflator. I air down quicker than the Staun fellas and it is more consistent. Really easy.

'06 LJ (specs in profile, 35's, ARBs, rocket boosters, stealth technology, etc.)
NavinRJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavinRJohnson
You might consider the Currie EZ deflator. I air down quicker than the Staun fellas and it is more consistent. Really easy.
Yep, I finally got a Currie EZ Deflator and it's pretty darned nice. Very fast deflation times too since it removes the center valve core while you're airing down.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
RUB1CON

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavinRJohnson
And for the price of a set of stauns you can buy two Currie's and have a buddy do one side while you do the other side
Unread 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
AZG23

I consistantly finish before my buddy with the Currie...and he only goes down to 15 on 33's...I do 10lbs on 35's....AND Im not bending down at every tire for the duration of the airdown...screw em on and walk away...come back after BS'n and take em off...

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
TJ on the Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG23
I consistantly finish before my buddy with the Currie...and he only goes down to 15 on 33's...I do 10lbs on 35's....AND Im not bending down at every tire for the duration of the airdown...screw em on and walk away...come back after BS'n and take em off...
Using Staun's ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.