Startup noise (apparently not the fan clutch...) with video! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Startup noise (apparently not the fan clutch...) with video!

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Startup noise (apparently not the fan clutch...) with video!

Just replaced my fan clutch and serpentine belt. The fan clutch was indeed bad, and man my fan is loud now, lol. However, I'm bummed to report that the startup noise is still there. I'm thinking it has to be the starter or flywheel or something, but I don't really know a lot about that part of engines. You can hear it both times I start the engine, sort of a chirping/scraping noise. It's much louder in person. It ONLY does it right when starting up, never any other time. The rattle you hear after I shut the Jeep off is without the clutch pushed in, the first time I had it pushed in. It's always done that, I'm assuming that's normal, just like the marbles in a can.

I'm leaning towards flywheel, what do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esHu4ugVzL4

YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
nick of time

I don't think it's your flywheel, because the noise would stay while the engine is running.
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick of time
I don't think it's your flywheel, because the noise would stay while the engine is running.
Did you hear me sigh just now? lol. I was really hoping it wouldn't be. Can a starter make that noise and still function perfectly?
Odd noises
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
nick of time

I've listened to the clip 4-5 times. It almost sounds like the shield between the engine and bell housing is rattling like maybe there are some bolts loose holding the two together, but I still think you'd hear it constant. Have you checked motor mounts, or suspension parts, because that might explain why the noise is at start and stop. Get a buddy to start it and stop it while your under it or vice versa to see if you can pinpoint the noise. Check the starter bolts and bell housing bolts also. As to your ? about the starter, you could have it load tested at Autozone for free, but you'd have to take it off.
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
nick of time

sorry about the multiple post! something happened to my computer!
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just got a post on the youtube video itself, at youtube.com. Some guy with a 2003 TJ 4.0 (maybe from here too?) said that the same thing happened to him, and it turned out to be a bad starter. Even though it would work fine, the gear that goes up against the flywheel wouldn't retract after the ignition was let off, thus the grinding. All he had to do was replace the starter. Does this sound reasonable/likely to everybody else? I'd be stoked if it was just the starter, as opposed to the flywheel.
Odd noises
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
BCJEEP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why dont you bump start it and see if you get the sound..
Canadian Jeep Club Member #5
BCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
stathunter

Sounds like fan bumping against shield.

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJEEP
Why dont you bump start it and see if you get the sound..
Even using the starter, every now and then if I get one of those starts where the revs don't jump up like normal, but instead the engine just kind of starts right into a low idle, it won't usually make that noise. So it seems as though the noise only comes if the revs are higher than low idle immediately after startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stathunter
Sounds like fan bumping against shield.
I don't know, if it was that wouldn't it make noise even after it was started? I can rev the engine all I want, it won't duplicate till I shut it down and start it again. I'm still leaning towards the flywheel/starter relationship. Hopefully the starter end of that pair.
Odd noises
Unread 04-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going with the starter. It sounds like the starter gear is going back in too slow.
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think its the starter hanging up
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
yankeejeeper02

Its the starter as previously stated by everyone. I have had it happen on several jeeps in the past.

Dustin
yankeejeeper02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #13
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool! Thanks for the replies guys. I don't mind changing out a starter at all, considering the alternatives.
Odd noises

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.