Startup Issue?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Startup Issue??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
robertsk1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Startup Issue??

Hey guys, new member on the forum here after many months of crawling all over it. So I'm having a bit of an electrical gremlin. I have a leaky gas regulator on the fuel pump, so whenever I start the jeep cold, I turn the key to ON, then OFF, about 3-4 times to get gas back in the system. The jeep usually turns over without issue. Well about 3-4 days ago, the jeep refused to crank, (in the parking lot 20 miles from home, figures). I narrowed it down to a corroded connection between the battery cable and the PDC fuse box under the hood. I cleaned that connection and it started right up.

Well this morning, I did the usual key on/off deal, my dash lit up like normal, the jeep beeped at me to tell me the keys where in the ignition, go to crank, something like a 'thunk" and then nothing. Tried to turn it again, nothing, and my dash lights were barely flickering. Put a volt meter to the battery, 12-14 volts (I have an old meter not very accurate). Volt meter to the PDC post, same reading. So I had my father turn the key while I listened under the hood and there's a buzzing coming from the fuse block under the hood.

Didn't have time to jump it or check which relay it was, I was late for work as is. My suspicion is that the battery can hold a charge, but can't take a load.

Any thoughts? I have a 97 wrangler, 4.0. I appreciate any insight you may have

Thanks in advance

robertsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'da taken a voltage reading while he turned the key. Battery is a good place to start, these things can't run without a good battery.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
robertsk1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I'da taken a voltage reading while he turned the key. Battery is a good place to start, these things can't run without a good battery.
PO said battery can't be more than two years old. So it seems unlikey, but not impossible. However the dash lights being dim after trying to crank would be a symptom of the battery not being able to handle the load, correct?
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's my line of thinking, along with that buzzing. The "thunk" is a wild card, I don't know what to make of that, but testing the battery is certainly the first place I'd go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsk1 View Post
PO said battery can't be more than two years old. So it seems unlikey, but not impossible. However the dash lights being dim after trying to crank would be a symptom of the battery not being able to handle the load, correct?
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would guess weak battery.

The "thunk" was probably the bendix engaging the flywheel, just not enough juice for the starter to actually turn the engine over.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
robertsk1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In case anyone was wondering, I cleaned the connections on the battery terminals, the starer, and the engine ground and it fired right up. Hopefully that does it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.