Starting issue question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starting issue question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Starting issue question

I have a 97 TJ with the 4.0L. My wife has been driving it to work the last couple days and now died so I have to do by what she tried to describe. This morning she said it struggled to turn over but cranked. Then at work leaving it turned over slowly, then clicked some which I assume was the solenoid. She let off and then turned it over again and it started barely. She should have gone straight home but just like a woman, she decides to stop at Target to shop! Gets out to the jeep and then nothing - not even clicking. But everything else comes on like blower, etc.

I pick her up and go get a new battery. Put it in and there is not any clicking or turning over. But again, all of the accessories work. With the clicking and turning over slow I thought it would be the battery. Is that the starter that died? I don't think it would be the solenoid only because it turned over slow when it did.

What is your opinion? It's sitting at Target now and hope its fine tomorrow when I get there!!

Thanks,

Warren

WarrenW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Starter solenoid
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When you buy a new starter, does it come with the solenoid on it? I was just thinking of replacing the whole thing.

Why do you say it is the solenoid only? Thanks for the help!
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it comes with the solonoid.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to replace them both. But owuld the solenoid cause it to turn over slow if it was bad? The solenoid does not even click now.
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you starter should look something like this. If you use a long screwdriver to jump the two big terminals on the back of the solenoid, you'll run the starter. If you do that, and the starter spins good and starts the motor, it's the solenoid. If you do that, and the starter still spins like crap, slow, or doesn't spin, it's the starter.

Good luck
Pete
starter.jpg  
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, it does look like that. But just one quick question. If it does not click when I try to start it, wouldn't the solenoid be bad? If the starter was bad, the solenoid would at least click right?
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it should click. If it's not the battery, or your connections, which you should check closely, I'd replace the starter/solenoid pair. Usually they come together.

Could be ignition switch or wiring also. I'd isolate the whole circuit. If you jump battery positive to the small terminal on the starter solenoid, it should click and run the starter. That is the solenoid feed from the ignition switch. Also check that the starter has a good ground. Check your ground connetion at the block also for corrosion. Sometimes your connections are good enough to run things like the radio and lights, but not good enough for the 200-300 amps or whatever that the starter needs.

Good luck
Pete
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

On the positive terminal of the battery I have a smaller red wire that connects with it. I did not follow where that wire went but is that standard or added on? Is that the wire that goes to the ignition/solenoid?

I'm starting to think it is the solenoid because it was clicking/turning over at the end and now nothing. I would have bet it was the battery though.

I plan to try to push start it after work to get it home at least. With a 5-speed, is it best to put it in 3rd gear to push start or 2nd?

Thanks!
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The reason I'm asking on the red wire is because when I put a new battery in yesterday and it did not click or turn over, I pushed the cables on the battery tight but the red wire was very loose and not tightened. So if that was used for the starting, it didn't help being loose I'm sure.
Unread 08-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
WarrenW
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, here is the latest! I push started it and just got it home. I turned it off and then turned the key to crank it. It turned over once, heard a click which was probably the solenoid and then died. All of the accessories come on still but will not turn over anymore. So what does this sound like?

Also, before I push started it I crossed the terminals on the back of the solenoid and it sparked some but nothing. No click or anything.

Thanks!!
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Change the starter, your over thinking this, just change the starter....
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
starting , solenoid , starter , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.