Starter Solenoid or Starter Motor Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter Solenoid or Starter Motor Problems

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
hjlueth0001
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Starter Solenoid or Starter Motor Problems

I own a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X with a 4L engine.
I woke up one morning unable to start the car. It's making an rapid clicking sound, but it's not trying to turn the engine over. After I had a friend give me a jump, I managed to start the engine. I filled her up with gas, and after that five minute period, the car started normally, but the starter motor was turning slowly, but managed to start the engine. However, when I tried to restart it after stopping in the store, the same problem appeared. The engine is clicking, but not attempting to turn over. I can't figure out whether it's the battery, the starter solenoid, or the starter motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Another notable symptom being that all the gauges are jumping while I'm turning the ignition. I opened up the hood and took a look in, and everything looked normally, the terminals on the battery are clean and there's no build-up there. The read-out on the voltage meter is above 9volts, so that's normal. However, there was a wire hanging near the belt that I hadn't seen before, but wasn't able to figure out where it came from as I had no light and this was after dark. Help, please.

hjlueth0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get a new battery. 9 volts is not normal 13-14 is. And it's a Jeep not a car.
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The solenoid clicking (chattering) repeatedly is a sure sign of low voltage. New battery time.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
2004sahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yup...get a new battey, and clean and tighten your cables. Do this ASAP, or you will need an alternator too. (you may need one now?)

Clean connections on your starter.

If your starter is bad, you will need a core.........if your starter is only worth core charge and you have time..take it apart and see what makes it tick....if you mess up no big deal cause you are trading it in anyway.

all the best to you and your jeep
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
hjlueth0001
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to get a new battery. I know the alternator is fine though, because while the battery wasn't holding a charge, the alternator was still trying to put a charge to it. Thanks guys.
hjlueth0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.