starter/solenoid question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > starter/solenoid question

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-26-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
Ox in the Box

starter/solenoid question

hello all-
ok i think my solenoid is going out. it has been getting harder and harder to start in the am. it is cold, but not that cold. ie:15 for a low temp. my question is can i just buy a solenoid or do i have to get the whole thing. i have a 97 sport 6cyl. thanks in advance for any help.

Jacob

Ox in the Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Decaguy

Hi Jacob,
As having spent most of the day trying to find out what a new starter for my jeep would cost I can say that you have two options - buying a rebuilt starter or buying a new one. I was drifting towards the new starter but when I got home from work after more poking around found that my starter was good, it must be a relay. The install of the starter looks fairly vanilla though, as long as you have a place to work! Good luck!
Arlo
Decaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
Electric Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox in the Box
my question is can i just buy a solenoid or do i have to get the whole thing. i have a 97 sport 6cyl. thanks in advance for any help.
Unfortunately, you have to buy the whole assembly. The solenoid is not available for purchase by itself--only the complete starter assembly.

I just went through the same deal a few months ago. I ended up buying a new one from a Jeep dealership for $108 after the $30 core charge (the $108 price took some negotiation to get) and then installed it myself...it's a quick job that can be done with basic automotive hand tools.

If you want to get a cheaper one, you can try one of the el-cheapo ones from Auto Zone, O'Reileys, NAPA, etc....but I heard too many stories of their extremely short life, so I opted to get another factory one instead.

If you want to spend big bucks, you can get a Mean Green starter. But dang, they ain't cheap!

Good luck.
Unread 01-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
Ugh!
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I could only find complete starters also. I got a rebuild OEM one. Was a relatively simple job.
Ugh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #5
Ox in the Box

thanks for the help. i found out today nobody has just the soleniod. oh well, thanks again.

Jacob
Ox in the Box is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.