squeky engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > squeky engine?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
wrangler793
2003 TJ Wrangler 

squeky engine?

hey everyone, i went off roading yesterday and i was going through some water and it got on my distributor and my engine started to miss fire and the check engine light came on but then it was fine after it dried and the check engine light went off. but today i realize that there is something squeaking in my engine compartment. im pretty sure its my belt squeaking on one of the pullys. its wen you rev the jeep that you can hear it. maybe the belt is just shot or it will go away because i just got dirt on it. whats your opinion on what i should do?

wrangler793 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
WakeUpJeepin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Take off the belt; inspect it thoroughly; put belt back on, and torque properly.

If the problem is still present after you complete the aforementioned steps, seek further advice.
()_) ()_)-○-)_)
WakeUpJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

its probably your tensioner. This has happened to me before, and i just let it squeak until it went away, which was about a month.
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Tank55
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the alternator bearings, I had the same problem last winter after I got my jeep wet a few times and it started getting cold outside. I put in a new alternator and upgraded the belt from the cheapo factory serpentine belt to a Gator belt. I also lubed up the belt tensioner.

"Life is too short, Forgive quickly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and Never regret anything that made you smile."
Tank55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pressure wash then recheck.Anytime your out off roading through dirt,mud,water, sounds will arise.After it's thoroughly cleaned, then pinpoint the area of the squeak.If you have to... use a mechanic stethoscope, a wooden dowel, or a long screwdriver to your ear carefully!WD-40 is always good to disperse water. It's nice to pressure wash after having fun,and helps immensely.Have spray lubricants at hand and plenty of grease for lubing all zerk fittings and such.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
belt , engine , pully , squeaky , water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.