Squealing (serpentine belt?) troubleshooting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squealing (serpentine belt?) troubleshooting

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Nolanitesystems
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Squealing (serpentine belt?) troubleshooting

Long story, but I would appreciate some advice.

Jeep: 2006 LJ, ~55k miles

For a couple days I have heard a high pitch squealing noise that lasted ~30 seconds after I start my Jeep. It doesn't happen every time, but it is the worst in the morning, after the jeep has sat overnight in cold upstate NY. I assumed the squealing was the serpentine belt and the cold temperatures were making it worse, especially first thing in the morning.

I inspected the belt, which appeared to be in great shape, but replaced it anyway, Belt from NAPA ->NBH 25060882 . I also noticed some wear on the idler pulley and tensioner pulley so I replaced them too, just to be thorough.

I started the car (which was squealing pretty good right before the replacements) and the noise was reduced to a whisper (this was around 4pm, ~65F outside).

Since there was still a little squeal, I double checked everything and even though there is an auto tensioner, the belt felt really loose... I could deflect it 3/4"-1" by pushing on it. I quadruple checked the belt to make sure it was the right one (which it was) and measured the length myself.

Next, I looked at the tensioner assembly... and even though I just put on a new belt, the assembly was near the end of its available travel. To take an image from getahelmet.com's write up, the yellow indicator was ~1/2 way to the red indicator, as seen below.

Figuring the tensioner could be worn out, I replaced that too, but the belt ended up being only slightly tighter than it was before, if at all. I then called it a day and left the car overnight.

I go to start it this morning (~40F) and the squealing is back in full force. Naturally, I was pissed so I went back to the store and bought a slightly smaller belt Dayco 5060880 (88.0" long vs. 88.25" long).

The shorter belt bet is tighter than the OEM replacement one and the tensioner arm has more available travel. The Jeep has stopped squealing for today, but I'll wait till tomorrow morning to see if it really stopped.

If you have hung in this long, here are my questions:

Does anyone know what could cause the belt to become so loose, even after I replaced all the worn pulleys?

Will there be any problems if I keep running with the slightly shorter belt? (it is the same width and # of ribs, just slightly shorter... I can also throw the OEM replacement one back on for the summer when it seems to be a non-issue).

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Thanks

-Terry

Nolanitesystems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Davf24
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It almost sounds like you have a water pump going, when it is cold the pump may be stiffer and when it warms up it loosens up, maybe the bearings are going bad??

Just an thought.
Davf24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
jeffreyd1964
2000 TJ Wrangler 

squealing

When you figure out what that 15 second squeal is when you first start the jeep on a cold morning please let me know the fix! I have been putting up
with that squeal for 10 years
jeffreyd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
dieselcrackel
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not saying this is your problem but I went through everything you are going throuh. Mine wound up being the opda especially if it was on a cold morning.
dieselcrackel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Bufordray
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Napa stetescope

Next time ya go back to napa,buy one of those (stetescope)+my spelling sucks....It helped me to find exactly where the noise was coming from
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
vic_sinclair
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Does your squeal sound like this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20.../#post10663478
vic_sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
jeffreyd1964
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You replaced the belt and the pullys and it still makes that squeal.
Do you think it can be the alternator?
It will be getting cold soon and that squealing pig that lives under my hood
every winter for the last 10 years will be back , if I don't find a fix
this fall I will use earplugs when I start my TJ every cold morning this winter.
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Nolanitesystems
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, bad news.... I started my car this morning (43F) and the squealing was still there. I did find that if I rev the engine for a second or two it stops right away.

I'll look into the opda issue.
Nolanitesystems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
vic_sinclair
2006 LJ Wrangler 

To look into the OPDA issue, just listen to those Youtube videos I posted. You will know immediately if that's your squeal. When my OPDA started to die, it was also only on startup and revving the engine stopped it.
vic_sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufordray View Post
Next time ya go back to napa,buy one of those (stetescope)+my spelling sucks....It helped me to find exactly where the noise was coming from
No need for a stethoscope. Get a long screwdriver. put the end of it on the part (non moving part) you think is squeeling and put you ear to the other end. The sound vibration will transmit through the screwdriver and to your ear. You will know when you find the noisy part, you will hear it.
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
jeffreyd1964
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what if you take off the serpentine belt the night before or in the morning
and then start the jeep to see if it still squeals. Seems like this test will
eliminate some possible reasons of our issues. I would take mine off for this test but its not that cold in NJ yet.
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same thing when I bought it. I replaced everything, all idles, tensioner, water pump and belt. Still squeals sometimes, but is much less frequent. I think mine is the alternator..
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do the 2006's have a harmonic balancer pulley? I had a similar squeal some time back that turned out to be the balancer going bad....
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
jeffreyd1964
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could also be the power steering pump or the AC compressor.
I hope someone figures this out soon so we don't keep spending money
on parts we don't need.
Unread 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If it's the same as the sound in the videos linked, it is 100% OPDA and I would recommend parking it immediately until you get the issue resolved or you risk loosing the cam. It can happen in less than a few hundred miles (don't ask me how I know), so don't mess around.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.