Squealing from the serpentine belt, how can I stop it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squealing from the serpentine belt, how can I stop it?

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
JfirEfightErP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Squealing from the serpentine belt, how can I stop it?

Hey, my 6cyl 97TJ Sport, squeals a good amount when you start it up for the first few minutes. It seems to be coming from the A/C compressor pulley area. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Can I repair/replace a pulley? try stop squeal spray products? maybe a new serpentine belt? Thanks a lot.

Unread 05-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
BamaBangs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem in my '98 TJ. I had to replace the pulley on the ac compressor because it eventually locked up. It had stopped squeaking for a couple weeks and has now started back up again. I've heard to stop the squeaking you could just tighten the belt up some.
BamaBangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Malebolgia
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check your belt for cracks and glazing. Most of the time the squeeling is caused by a worn out belt and not a pulley. The sound is different as well. The pulley will have more of a metal on metal sound and the belt is rubber on metal. You can use the belt dressing stuff but it is just a temporary fix. The best thing to do is replace the belt if it is cracked. If it is not then just tighten up the belt and the sound should go away.

:EDIT: The reason you are hearing it in the A/C pulley area might just be because that is where it is slipping.
Malebolgia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
fduncan

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a Goodyear Gatorback belt. I had problems with mine, but a Mopar belt on and after a little while noise came back. But on the Gatorback belt and no more noise. I got mine at Auto Zone.
fduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
dvdwly
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had that problem a few weeks ago. After I replaced the belt the squeal went away.
dvdwly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
wlmonk
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had a squeal on mine, but it didn't sound like a BELT squeal. And it wasn't. It was the bearing in the idler pulley. I guess I'd have to hear your squeal to give you my opinion. Belt squeals and bearing squeals are different.
wlmonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfirEfightErP View Post
Hey, my 6cyl 97TJ Sport, squeals a good amount when you start it up for the first few minutes. It seems to be coming from the A/C compressor pulley area. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Can I repair/replace a pulley? try stop squeal spray products? maybe a new serpentine belt? Thanks a lot.
How many miles? Original serpentine belt?

I would check for cracks and glazing on the belt as said above. If it's the original belt i'd change it and your squeal will likely go away.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
stratons_tj
2000 WJ 

Not to hi-jack...but I too have a squeaky belt.

How do I go about tightening it to see if that's it before buying a new belt?
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had a bad idler pulley cause squealing before it decided to give up. However, sometimes it's just glazing etc on the belt. I learned a trick to cure the problem, I am going to say you need to be very careful when doing this though, make sure no loose clothing, sleeves, jewelry etc. You take a wire brush ( the mini ones are great for this), with the jeep running, place it on the top of the belt in a safe location, do the same on the underside, if it is just a glaze type problem the squeal will go away. I find belt dressing etc., messy and most times doesn't even work.

Again be very careful as the motor needs to run, and you will be getting the brush into a location you could easily get hurt if you are not paying attention.
Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratons_tj View Post
Not to hi-jack...but I too have a squeaky belt.

How do I go about tightening it to see if that's it before buying a new belt?
Before I tell you how to tighten the belt, check the belt's tightness first by pushing hard on it with your thumb at its widest unsuppored distance, that part that runs to the PS pump. It should not deflect more than about 1/2" if you push hard (!) on it with your thumb. If it's not loose, something else is likely squealing.

To tighten a '97 TJ's belt, first loosen the big black anodized nut that holds the PS idler pulley to the bracket. Then turn that long vertical bolt that is on the PS pump bracket which will move the pulley up to tighten the belt. Then retighten that big black anodized bolt to hold the pulley in place on its bracket.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fduncan View Post
Buy a Goodyear Gatorback belt. I had problems with mine, but a Mopar belt on and after a little while noise came back. But on the Gatorback belt and no more noise. I got mine at Auto Zone.
Ditto - I went thru the same issue with a squeeling serp belt on my 97.
At frist I tried a new standrad belt... no luck, still squeeling even after tightening it properly and even a bit beyond.
Someone then recommended the Gatorback. Popped it in and no more squeeling.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check the idler pulleys, I replaced the bearing on mine, only cost $10 for the bearing and half an hour to remove the pulley, press out the old bearing, and press in the new one vs $145 from the dealer for complete new idler.

I have no AC on my Jeep so not sure how you would fix that if it was the issue.
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it was a regular old belt you could run a bar of soap on it first. Serpentine belt don't know.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #14
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Carefully use a small wire brush on the inside of the serpentine belt while the engine is idling. Your squeak will disappear.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
Ditto - I went thru the same issue with a squeeling serp belt on my 97.
At frist I tried a new standrad belt... no luck, still squeeling even after tightening it properly and even a bit beyond.
Someone then recommended the Gatorback. Popped it in and no more squeeling.
Ditto X2. Gatorback is where it's at. I don't buy cheap belts anymore.

Pete

Tags
belt , serpentine , squeal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.