squeaky wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > squeaky wheel

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Katch
2005 TJ Wrangler 

squeaky wheel

I got the squeaky wheel problem. It sounds like it is coming from the front passenger wheel area. It speeds up and slows down with my Rubicon. Contrary to some other forum searches; this squeak does not go away when I turn the wheel. My squeak does seem to go away when it is warm outside?!?!? It has been at its loudest with our recent cold days. It was nonexistent yesterday when it was over 60 degrees outside. Iím hoping it is not too cold on Thanksgiving Day, so I can remove the wheel and take a look. Any ideas what to look at?

I don't think it is the driveshaft. I installed a Tom Woods driveshaft last year.

Katch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've had a rotational squeak come from a front wheel before and it ended up being a unit bearing.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You could try pulling the front driveshaft to rule that out for sure
ops5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch View Post
I don't think it is the driveshaft. I installed a Tom Woods driveshaft last year.
But have you regularly greased the centering ball?
Unread 11-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
But have you regularly greased the centering ball?
+1

I diddn't think TW used the grease-able Cardon Joints ???
Snowplow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowplow View Post
+1

I diddn't think TW used the grease-able Cardon Joints ???
Every driveshaft I've bought from him has both greaseable ujoints and centering ball unless you specifically request otherwise.
Unread Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #7
holzmann2012
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Probably not relevant, but the rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column on the inside of the firewall squeaks on mine when it is cold... WD-40 would fix that issue.
holzmann2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #8
Bill M.
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Could be your hub bearing. Had mine go out a few years back. Take your tire off and take a look at the bearing. There is a rubber gasket that keeps the races clean, and mine was toast when it started making noises. Our Jeeps do not have serviceable bearings, so if yours is making that noise, you'll need to replace the whole hub. If that's the case, I would start soaking your hub bolts (three bolts on the back side of your knuckle) with PB Blaster now. If I remember right, mine was about $80 at autozone.

IIRC, all you do to replace it is jack up the jeep, remove the tire, remove the brake caliper, remove the rotor, loosen the axle nut, then remove the three bolts holding the hub to the knuckle. Those take a 12 point 13 mm I think. After those are out, you can take a 1 and 1/2 inch socket extension and use that to help remove the hub. Luckily for me, my hub came off without much fuss, but if you're in the rust belt, I wish you luck!

Hope that helps!
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.