Squeaky AC Pulley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeaky AC Pulley

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
bobelang
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Squeaky AC Pulley

For a little while now, I would hear this obnoxious squeaking when I turned the engine over, and it would last for 3-10 seconds, or until I took my foot off the clutch and/or brake after starting my Jeep up.

I finally got around to trying to diagnose this using the "squirt bottle" technique, and I believe it's isolated to the AC compressor pulley. I didn't actually take the belt off, but it appears to be aligned well enough from what I can tell, and it doesn't appear too worn or cracked. Plus, I cranked the AC and watched the pulley turn over, at which point the annoying squeak came back.

As of right now it's not the end of the world because it's cold and I'm not planning on using the AC, plus the squeak stops soon after it turns over, but I don't want it to get worse when the summer comes around and I start to use it more.

So that being the case, what are my options as far as replacing this pulley/bearing? From what I've seen it's not really easy, so I'm not sure it's something that I could do myself. Am I even calling the parts by their appropriate name? My AC still blows really cold, so as far as I know the compressor itself is in good shape. It's just that the pulley that runs along the belt is slowly driving me crazy. Any advise/options are welcomed.
Thanks!

bobelang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you narrowed it down to the A/C clutch bearing that's spinning with the pulley when the compressor isn't engaged?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
bobelang
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Have you narrowed it down to the A/C clutch bearing that's spinning with the pulley when the compressor isn't engaged?...
See, that's what I'm not sure about, because I don't think I'm familiar enough with the whole serpentine belt assembly to really know what all I'm looking at.(got this Jeep about a year and a half ago and I've been slowly teaching myself everything, but still a little novice in most areas)

From what I can tell by cross referencing this pulley to the diagrams that I can find, it says it's the AC pulley, but I've seen other things about the clutch pulley but still don't quite understand which is what. It could very well be the clutch pulley though.
Unread 02-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch pulley and AC pulley are the same thing.
Neither is technically correct.
It is the compressor pulley. It uses a clutch so that the compressor doesn't turn when the AC compressor is not requested.
Does the noise go away when you turn the AC on?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
bobelang
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Clutch pulley and AC pulley are the same thing.
Neither is technically correct.
It is the compressor pulley. It uses a clutch so that the compressor doesn't turn when the AC compressor is not requested.
Does the noise go away when you turn the AC on?
Alright that's sorta what I thought but I couldn't tell if they were the same thing or not.

But it doesn't change a lot when I turn the A/C on which is weird. I hear it the most when I start my Jeep up, and it squeals for about 5-10 seconds. It'll either stop on it's own or when I take my foot off the brake/clutch and put in neutral.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from that area though. And I think I remember just watching the pulley turn then stop, at which point I would hear a feint squeal again. It's starting to get to the point now where I can sometimes hear a quiet, rhythmic squeak from that area, even when the AC isn't on.

I'm gonna be working on something unrelated tomorrow on my Jeep so I'll test it out again with the AC and see if that changes anything.
Unread 02-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
bobelang
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Additionally, and maybe this is really stupid of me, but I've been having the defroster/heat on recently. I just read some other posts that running the heat/defroster could run the AC clutch as well, and 've been running it practically all the time, especially on start up, because it's been so cold. Not sure if this could be exacerbating my problem here.
Unread 02-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the belt, and you can spin the pulley by hand to see if it makes a noise or if the bearing is rough.
Unread 02-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelang View Post
Additionally, and maybe this is really stupid of me, but I've been having the defroster/heat on recently. I just read some other posts that running the heat/defroster could run the AC clutch as well, and 've been running it practically all the time, especially on start up, because it's been so cold. Not sure if this could be exacerbating my problem here.
Some reading for you, also read the attached link within:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/c-guys-1058168/

... HTH
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
bobelang
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Some reading for you, also read the attached link within:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/c-guys-1058168/

... HTH
That definitely answers that question. That actually seems like a relatively easy mod. I may have to attempt this one day. Thanks a lot for the link.

Tags
air conditioner , belt , pulley , squeak , squeaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.