Squeaking Front End - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeaking Front End

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 05-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
DrakeTulloh

Squeaking Front End

About two weeks ago I buried the front end of my 4" lifted jeep with 33s in mud and water for around 16 hours. It was nose down into the water, the water went from the middle of the bumper to halfway between the door and front fender. Both front wheels had water to about an inch below the top of them. When I drive and get above around 15mph it starts squeaking. It did not immediately do this, it started to develop the squeak a few days after it got stuck, and the squeak continued to get worse for the next week, where it then just stayed the same. It does not constantly squeak, every once in a while it will stop for a few minutes and then start back up. I thought the wheel bearings were shot, so I replaced both front hubs, which didn't seem to really help. I also made sure the U joints were properly lubed. The squeaking seems to be coming from about where the driver sits, and up towards the front of the jeep, near the axle. What could this squeaking be? Is there a chance that leaving the front end submerged flooded the differential, or a bearing within the differential or axle assembly?

Thanks,
Drake

DrakeTulloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check all u-joints and stuff of course.

I've had my brakes make some funny squeaks before when wet or muddy. I'd check them, clean the pads and rotors, lube the contact points, etc. There was one brake noise that I couldn't get rid of that was a sort of faint squeeking about 10mph and up to maybe 35 where the wind noise would drown it out that I found would come occasionally and go away when I touch the brakes just ever so slightly. I just happened to need new rotors and pads due to wear and warpage and after those were replaced the sound is now gone. I'm sure it was due to the "pattern" worn in the rotor with the pads.

You haven't tried isolating the noise by jacking up the front of the Jeep and spinning the wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
DrakeTulloh

Thanks for the quick reply! This is a really loud squeak. I know it is not the brakes, because i took them off and cleaned them when replacing the hubs. Also the squeaking does not change during braking. I tried to isolate it, but i have to have the wheels spinning too fast before they squeak. I do not want to run my car while on jack stands.
Unread 05-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeTulloh View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! This is a really loud squeak. I know it is not the brakes, because i took them off and cleaned them when replacing the hubs. Also the squeaking does not change during braking. I tried to isolate it, but i have to have the wheels spinning too fast before they squeak. I do not want to run my car while on jack stands.
Remove the front driveshaft entirely and see if it goes away. The double-cardan joint commonly freezes up when it sees mud or water causing "angry sparrows" noises. Search for angry sparrows for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
DrakeTulloh

That definitely sounds like that could be it. It does sound like angry sparrows. Thanks for everyones help!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.