Squeak in right, front wheel - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeak in right, front wheel

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #31
Mike07925
2000 TJ Wrangler 

buy another rotor for the other side. thats what I would do

Mike07925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #32
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike07925 View Post
buy another rotor for the other side. thats what I would do
I just noticed over the summer we only replaced my front left rotor..so that makes sense
Sykora171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #33
tj4mm
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know you have had multiple things sugguested to replace and if you had thought of replacing the caliper I would hold off and replace the rubber brake line before the caliper. If the fluid can't return through the line like it should could cause a pulling problem and possibly a brake scrub that makes a squeak.
tj4mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4mm View Post
I know you have had multiple things sugguested to replace and if you had thought of replacing the caliper I would hold off and replace the rubber brake line before the caliper. If the fluid can't return through the line like it should could cause a pulling problem and possibly a brake scrub that makes a squeak.
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that, but brobably won't get around to doing anything 'til next summer because it's so cold and FINALLY snowing!
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #35
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so I have an update. It got pretty warm today so on my way home from school my friend and I had the windows down. Of course I could hear the squeak, but something new popped up. When I was stopped at a red light and I released the brakes (because I have a manual) I heard a new squeak when disengaging the brakes.

Go home and did some tests. I turned the Jeep off so I could hear and pumped the brakes. Sure enough I could hear a squeak, and not just on the disengagement, but through the full travel of the pedal. So I got my mom to come out and pump the brakes while I listened and it's coming from the REAR passenger side wheel. I'm stumped as to what it could be, but tomorrow I plan on taking the drums apart and see if there is anything unusual.

I'm still not a 100% sure if this is causing the driving squeak, but either way I got to figure out what is going on with the drum.

:
Unread 01-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #36
tj4mm
1997 TJ Wrangler 

More than likely its the shoes rubbing the backing plates. You might be hearing the springs also.
tj4mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #37
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on front driverside wheel. i replaced my wheel bearing and the squeeking stopped.
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #38
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupathingy901 View Post
I had the same problem on front driverside wheel. i replaced my wheel bearing and the squeeking stopped.
That's what I thought at first, but the squeak goes away with pressure to the brakes and slightly changes frequency with slight pressure to the brakes.

After I sort out the issue with the rear drum, and it turns out that wasn't the cause of the driving squeak, I will first bleed the brakes, lube the back of the pads and caliper bushings, if that doesn't do it I'll either replace the brake line to that caliper or replace the caliper because it has to be some kind of drag issue.
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #39
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do yo have center caps or hub caps, look there.
Black Jeep Society #264
Skyryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #40
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
That's what I thought at first, but the squeak goes away with pressure to the brakes and slightly changes frequency with slight pressure to the brakes.

After I sort out the issue with the rear drum, and it turns out that wasn't the cause of the driving squeak, I will first bleed the brakes, lube the back of the pads and caliper bushings, if that doesn't do it I'll either replace the brake line to that caliper or replace the caliper because it has to be some kind of drag issue.
yeah mine went away with brake pressure too. it could have just been fixed whenever I recompressed my caliper when I put it back on the rotor after I changed the wheel bearing, either way my squeak disappeared haha
Unread 01-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #41
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've spent the past 3 hours taking the passenger side drum apart, and very carefully greasing all the contact points, only to put it back together and it still squeaks.At first I thought it had gone away, but then came back. I used regular green grease instead if lithium grease, and I did the hard stops in reverse for the "self adjusting" thing, so maybe the heat affected the grease?

This is the squeak while the I'm not moving and is with pedal travel. Tomorrow I'm going to bleed all the brakes, maybe it's an air bubble. And not surprisingly the moving squeak is still there. I also need to get new drums, there was a pretty good sized groove in the one I took apart, but that's not happening until I May when I start working again.
Unread 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #42
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, today I went and got brake fluid and cleaner at Advance because it's buy one get one free, I could still here the driving squeak, but when I got home and turned the engine off, the squeak from the drum seemed to have gone away.

New plan, bleed all the brakes and see if that solves the rotational squeak. If it doesn't I'm going to replace the passenger side caliper. I'm confident it's a problem with the pads scrubbing the rotor, but if that still doesn't do it then it's a new u-joint, if that still doesn't do it, it's new bearing. If non of that fixes it I'm driving it off a cliff.

Also once May comes I'm going to overhaul the drums, minus the shoes (since I just did that).
Unread 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #43
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Ok, today I went and got brake fluid and cleaner at Advance because it's buy one get one free, I could still here the driving squeak, but when I got home and turned the engine off, the squeak from the drum seemed to have gone away.

New plan, bleed all the brakes and see if that solves the rotational squeak. If it doesn't I'm going to replace the passenger side caliper. I'm confident it's a problem with the pads scrubbing the rotor, but if that still doesn't do it then it's a new u-joint, if that still doesn't do it, it's new bearing. If non of that fixes it I'm driving it off a cliff.

Also once May comes I'm going to overhaul the drums, minus the shoes (since I just did that).
haha good luck man! let us know how it goes and maybe take some pictures!
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #44
JeepNE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any updates on how its doing?
JeepNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #45
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNE View Post
Any updates on how its doing?
Nope, still haven't fixed it.

Today I did the rotors, no luck. Tomorrow I'm going to bleed the brakes, the fluid is pretty nasty. If that doesn't do it it's new calipers and/or brake lines. New calipers and brake lines might be a good thing anyway, calipers are like 20 bucks each and brake lines are 18.

If I had the money I would do the vanco kit, but I don't have almost a grand laying around for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.