Squeak in right, front wheel - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeak in right, front wheel

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
Bones741
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
U-joint makes sense, but what still bugs me is the fact the squeak stop the second I tap the brakes.
Just jack her up, put her in neutral and spin your drive shaft and see if it squeeks.

Unread 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check and see if your rotor is rubbing against the dust/backing plate.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I got a chance to jack up the front wheels. Of course when spinning the wheels it didn't replicate the squeak. Though when I spin the passenger side wheel really hard and fast, I can hear a very faint squeak. So I'm certain it's that wheel. It's to faint to hear where it's coming from, but I'm certain it's not rubbing the dust shield.

I do get a lot of resistance when spinning both wheels. I realize it's also spinning the driveshaft but it seems like there is still a lot or resistance, and it sound like the pads are dragging on the rotors. Maybe both calipers are sticking?
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
2DRBLUJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, I got a chance to jack up the front wheels. Of course when spinning the wheels it didn't replicate the squeak. Though when I spin the passenger side wheel really hard and fast, I can hear a very faint squeak. So I'm certain it's that wheel. It's to faint to hear where it's coming from, but I'm certain it's not rubbing the dust shield.

I do get a lot of resistance when spinning both wheels. I realize it's also spinning the driveshaft but it seems like there is still a lot or resistance, and it sound like the pads are dragging on the rotors. Maybe both calipers are sticking?
I'm having the exact same issue as you, though it's right-rear with me. It's been driving me crazy - brakes are all good, no issues there.

Guess I'll check the u-joints tomorrow.

Glad I found this thread.
2DRBLUJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #20
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking its the brakes. I'm going back and forth about just buying a new caliper, but 60 bucks is a lot to spend when I'm not sure what the problem is.
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Took the rotor in last Saturday to get it turned, turned out it was to thin so they couldn't. Went into the connected Advance Auto and bought a new rotor for 32 bucks. Got home, put it on, then went to "test the brakes" , and the squeak got better.

Today, now that the rotor has been broken in, and the pads shaped to the new rotor, the squeak is completely gone.
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #22
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Took the rotor in last Saturday to get it turned, turned out it was to thin so they couldn't. Went into the connected Advance Auto and bought a new rotor for 32 bucks. Got home, put it on, then went to "test the brakes" , and the squeak got better.

Today, now that the rotor has been broken in, and the pads shaped to the new rotor, the squeak is completely gone.
Yup, warped rotor. If youve got the money Id upgrade to Centric Rotors and Savvy's "Magic" pads or atleast EBC Yellowstuffs. I think Blain finally put a package deal together. You can never have enough brakes and for $2-$300 range, thats cheap reassurance.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
Yup, warped rotor. If youve got the money Id upgrade to Centric Rotors and Savvy's "Magic" pads or atleast EBC Yellowstuffs. I think Blain finally put a package deal together. You can never have enough brakes and for $2-$300 range, thats cheap reassurance.
Yeah, I wish. Maybe next summer, but right now I'm out a job for the winter and just splurged on a new top. But when I was "testing the brakes" I could still make them squeal (if I put all my weight into it), but there's always more to be desired.
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #24
Fropleyqk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I wish. Maybe next summer, but right now I'm out a job for the winter and just splurged on a new top.
... No excuse, cut grass, clean pools, shovel snow! $300 isnt hard to earn if you work for it. Hell, get a job at walmart, collect carts for a week.
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
... No excuse, cut grass, clean pools, shovel snow! $300 isnt hard to earn if you work for it. Hell, get a job at walmart, collect carts for a week.
Hey! I never said I wasn't tryin', I just don't want to go spending all my money when I don't have anything set in stone. Just knowing how Jeeps work, I would break an axle or something, plus it's not like they sip gas.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #26
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I've got an update. The squeak came back. I don't know when It came back because I've had the top on quite a while, but I def. heard it today. I've also got another symptom to add. On my way home from school, I take my friend home everyday, and we were driving next to another friend. I was about to merge off off 60-65, and my friend tells me to slow down so we can be right next to the other person. So just to scare him I waited till the last moment to stop.

Long story short when I put the brakes on hard it pulled horribly to the right, and it's the right front wheel that squeaks.

I'm not really sure what this means, maybe it's just because the new rotor has more bite than the old one, or it could be a caliper, I'm not sure. I know the squeak has to be the brakes because when I initially put on the new rotor I know it for a fact it went away.

Any other ideas?
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #27
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone?
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When I replace brakws, I always do it in pairs so that I don't have the issues with pulling to one way or the other. With 33s, you're right on the edge of where I would trust stock brakes. I know for sure that when I upgrade to 33x10.50s next summer I am going to replace my front brakes with the Black Magics and centric rotors. I don't want to end up in a position where I slam on the brakes and am not able to stop in time. On my '03 Trailblazer, I had a similar squeak which turned out to be a wheel bearing. Another thing- is there any possibility that it could somehow be your swaybar link? I would check the swaybar link and see if that is somehow ****ed up, then upgrade the brakes, and then, if all else fails, replace your wheel bearings. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will. Good luck!
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf1994 View Post
When I replace brakws, I always do it in pairs so that I don't have the issues with pulling to one way or the other. With 33s, you're right on the edge of where I would trust stock brakes. I know for sure that when I upgrade to 33x10.50s next summer I am going to replace my front brakes with the Black Magics and centric rotors. I don't want to end up in a position where I slam on the brakes and am not able to stop in time. On my '03 Trailblazer, I had a similar squeak which turned out to be a wheel bearing. Another thing- is there any possibility that it could somehow be your swaybar link? I would check the swaybar link and see if that is somehow ****ed up, then upgrade the brakes, and then, if all else fails, replace your wheel bearings. If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will. Good luck!
I know I should have replaced both rotors, but I just want to hold off because I'm also getting new tires next summer and would be looking at better brakes. Right now braking is not an issue because my tires are worn and are more like 31s, but next summer I'll be getting 33x10.5 so it's will suck again.

Its also unlikely its a bearing because the squeak briefly went away after the new rotor, and it goes away with the slightest application of the brakes. So thinking it's the caliper, but just wanted to get so more input. I'm also not really going to do anything right now because of winter and money. The brakes work perfectly fine, I can squeal the tires so I'm not worried about performance.

I'll take a look at the steering, see if there is any play in it or if anything looks bent.
Unread 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #30
chupathingy901
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same issue in my 1994 ZJ. front front left wheel i believe. squeek frequency gets faster as i speed up, stops when I hit the brakes. anyone find the problem?
chupathingy901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.