Squeak in right, front wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeak in right, front wheel

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 10-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Squeak in right, front wheel

Ok, this has been annoying me for quite some time. I have this really annoying squeak in the front passenger side wheel. I don't know how to explain it other than it's a rotational squeak, so as I speed up, the frequency of the squeak gets faster. The other thing is when I press the brakes the squeak goes away.

I thought it was the brake pads, but I replaced those about a month ago and the squeak is still there. The only other thing I noticed when changing the brake pads is that passenger side rotor is pretty grooved and the old pads had worn funny. That day I had changed the pads was on a weekend so there weren't any brake places open to spin them, and I've just been to lazy with school to do it. Maybe I'll get around to it this weekend, but I'm not sure that will solve the problem.

The only other thing I could think of it being the wheel bearing...

Any other Ideas?

Oh, and I greased everything a couple weekends ago, not that I expected that to fix anything.

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Could be a sticking brake caliper. The Unit bearings are not serviceable. Do you have any vibrations in the wheel?
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckboarder55 View Post
Could be a sticking brake caliper. The Unit bearings are not serviceable. Do you have any vibrations in the wheel?
Hmm, I never thought of a sticky caliper not really sure how I would go about fixing that. I know the bearing aren't serviceable and would have to be completely replaced. As for vibrations, for a Jeep that has horribly balanced tires/wheels and hasn't had an alignment in a while, I barely get any vibrations in the wheel. The only time I get vibes is at 65-75 but they are small.

P.s. I'm getting new tires and wheels next summer, and a couple weeks ago when I was driving out of my neighborhood I had a wheel come off. When it came off it took out all the wheel weights. So don't give me crap about the balanced tires.
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
boarder15675
2000 TJ Wrangler 

was that wheel by chance the front right?
boarder15675 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder15675 View Post
was that wheel by chance the front right?
Actually it wasn't, it was the back drivers.
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay you need to explain what led up to your wheel falling off...those things are on there pretty good.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283 View Post
Okay you need to explain what led up to your wheel falling off...those things are on there pretty good.
Well, it doesn't have anything to do with the squeak, but... basically when my dad and I had done the brakes, when we put the tires back on he used the impact wrench, like we have always done. I'm still not exactly sure but slowly the lugs came loose, then one morning driving to school I'm still in the neighborhood and bam, the wheel falls off. I was going so slow, that when I had come to a stop the axle hub was sitting on the inside of the wheel. Found three lug nuts, none were stripped (neither were the studs) and I'm guessing the others had come off over time.
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you make it squeek with the jeep in the air and spinning the tire by hand? If you haven't done so, try that.
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
riscal33
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could be your u joints. If there is any play in them they are shot.
riscal33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire239 View Post
Can you make it squeek with the jeep in the air and spinning the tire by hand? If you haven't done so, try that.
Haven't tried that. This week when I address the rotor I'll do this.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Anyone got more info on the wheel bearing? Or a good thread about it.
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riscal33 View Post
Could be your u joints. If there is any play in them they are shot.
Ah, totally forgot about that. My dad claims he recently replaced them (couple years ago) but he never replaced them with grease-able ones. So to check this you jack that wheel off the ground, spin it, and look for play?
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
GatorKev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Well, it doesn't have anything to do with the squeak, but... basically when my dad and I had done the brakes, when we put the tires back on he used the impact wrench, like we have always done. I'm still not exactly sure but slowly the lugs came loose, then one morning driving to school I'm still in the neighborhood and bam, the wheel falls off. I was going so slow, that when I had come to a stop the axle hub was sitting on the inside of the wheel. Found three lug nuts, none were stripped (neither were the studs) and I'm guessing the others had come off over time.
Sounds more like someone took a lug wrench to them for you and wanted this to happen.....
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKev View Post
Sounds more like someone took a lug wrench to them for you and wanted this to happen.....
Yeah I don't know. But since it's happened we're no longer using the impact wrench and I check my lugs often.
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Bones741
2000 TJ Wrangler 

probably u-joint or axel joint
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones741 View Post
probably u-joint or axel joint
U-joint makes sense, but what still bugs me is the fact the squeak stop the second I tap the brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.