Squaring poly 4 link brackets. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squaring poly 4 link brackets.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Squaring poly 4 link brackets.

I'm either over thinking, or under thinking this. I'm building a 4 link using PolyPerf brackets, and need to square them so the rear end follows correctly.

I'm sure there is a easy way to check this, but I'm tired and have missed it.

So far I have been using this factory slot. It seems to match up on both sides, but I can't say that 100%.

Help a dummy out.

Unread 07-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Poly did not provide basic diagrams or dimensions any I take it?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Poly did not provide basic diagrams or dimensions any I take it?
Why would they? They don't have a specific location....you put them where you want them.

I use a consistent frame nutsert on each side. Those tend to be very square from the factory. Once you get them tacked, cross measure to verify.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Why would they? They don't have a specific location....you put them where you want them.

I use a consistent frame nutsert on each side. Those tend to be very square from the factory. Once you get them tacked, cross measure to verify.
If it's a custom install I can understand you put em where ya want em in relation with whatever your arm lengths are gonna be and squared up on the frame.

Mine is Clayton and I had drawings to go by. You know it was a bolt in kit after you welded in all your brackets.
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

Thanks. I moved a set of jack stands so I can measure off the nutserts. Any suggestions on cross measuring? It kind of feels like I'm free balling it so far.
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

That's all we did on the KOH LJ. We wanted our arms to be around 27-30".

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy
That's all we did on the KOH LJ. We wanted our arms to be around 27-30".
If only I had the same caliber of help and/or skill. I'm just some ******* that reads cool stuff on the internet and tries to copy it. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out how to get some dolphins with freakin lasers to square this **** up.
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I measured mine from multiple points like the body mount bracket, Front LCA brackets and such. I averaged them out and called it good. This is my first modified Jeep and I can't say I know how a "perfect" one would feel like... but I have no complaints.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

As long as your close you'll be able to square up the axles to the same measure points and then cross measure. Don't over think it. You are going to be fine. Don't burn them all the way on until you get the axles, brackets and steering tacked up as well.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff

If only I had the same caliber of help and/or skill. I'm just some ******* that reads cool stuff on the and tries to copy it. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out how to get some dolphins with freakin lasers to square this **** up.
Good thread. I'm about to start the same project & was procrastinating on the rent-a-dolphins.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I screw a flat head bolt all the way into the middle frame nutsert. Then I hook the tape measure over it. I use the flat head bolts we use on the Under Armor which lets the slot in the tape measure hook catch on the thin edge.

I've found that nutsert to be really consistent from rig to rig and even if it's off slightly, you can fix it with adjustable control arms.
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
I measured mine from multiple points like the body mount bracket, Front LCA brackets and such. I averaged them out and called it good. This is my first modified Jeep and I can't say I know how a "perfect" one would feel like... but I have no complaints.
Thanks. I noticed one of the body mount brackets was wider at the base then the otherside. That was part of what got me thinking about this. My rig is far from perfect. I just don't want it tracking down the road like a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
As long as your close you'll be able to square up the axles to the same measure points and then cross measure. Don't over think it. You are going to be fine. Don't burn them all the way on until you get the axles, brackets and steering tacked up as well.
Thanks. Everything is tacked up now. I lost track of how many times I got something in place and had to pop it off right away to fix it. Some PVC mock up arms tomorrow. Cycle it out, and hopefully burn it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Good thread. I'm about to start the same project & was procrastinating on the rent-a-dolphins.
Dr. Evil needs to return them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I screw a flat head bolt all the way into the middle frame nutsert. Then I hook the tape measure over it. I use the flat head bolts we use on the Under Armor which lets the slot in the tape measure hook catch on the thin edge.

I've found that nutsert to be really consistent from rig to rig and even if it's off slightly, you can fix it with adjustable control arms.
It's little tricks like that I wish I could think of when I'm doing the work.
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Thanks. I noticed one of the body mount brackets was wider at the base then the otherside. That was part of what got me thinking about this. My rig is far from perfect. I just don't want it tracking down the road like a dog.
Avoid anything to do with the body mounts. Here is one I removed and relocated higher. After I cut it off the frame, I noticed something odd about it. The smaller hole is the center of the web.

Since I noticed that little oddity, I've started paying attention and a lot of them are that way, but not consistently.

Quote:
It's little tricks like that I wish I could think of when I'm doing the work.
When you get ready, I'll show you a very easy way to square up the axles and you don't even need a tape measure.
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

Avoid anything to do with the body mounts. Here is one I removed and relocated higher. After I cut it off the frame, I noticed something odd about it. The smaller hole is the center of the web.

Since I noticed that little oddity, I've started paying attention and a lot of them are that way, but not consistently.

When you get ready, I'll show you a very easy way to square up the axles and you don't even need a tape measure.
The body mount difference is what got me worried. Along with the points I thought would be fix where at odd angles and a pain to measure accurately. I didn't even think about the belly nutsert since I had a jack stand In the way to mark the back corner of the underarmor.

I'd really appreciate learning your method for squaring the axles. I have a habit of making things much harder then needed.
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea my Clayton stuff was measured off the center of skid inserts, it would seem they (Chrysler) has a good consistent jig for them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.