springs vs. shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > springs vs. shocks

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Pinwormfood

springs vs. shocks

hi guys, first post on here. I browsed around for a bit and didn't see an answer for my question so here goes.
I have an 06 LJ that has a 4 inch lift currie/savvy suspension with the silver bodied rancho (9000 i think) shocks. uses rock jock springs. I have installed some metalcloak steel corner guards and fenders and now I'm saggy in the rear and bottom out way more than I used to when running rougher terrain.
I called currie and asked if a stiffer spring was available and he said that it prolly isn't the spring, and it is most likely the shock. Now, to me this seems counter-intuitive....but what do i know. can someone help me out. i dont want to waste money where I don't need it.
also, I did notice that from over extention, the rear lower spring cups have made a small dent in the shock body. not sure if that would make the shocks go bad, and I can post a pic if someone really needs to see but they are small. please let me know your thoughts guys. thanks, pinwormfood.

Pinwormfood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like an odd response from Currie. Springs set the ride height. Shocks control the movement. If you added weight causing the rear to sag, then you need longer/stiffer springs to raise it back up.
Unread 05-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Springs do generally set ride height and shocks should control ride as stated previously. Is your rig lower in the back than the front now, or just lower than it was?

If the rear level or higher than the front with a load than I would not see it as a spring issue. A good set of tuned shocks would be where I would be looking in that case.

If the rear sets lower than the front I would then replace the springs with an HD version.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps because you said "bottom out way more than I used to" they focused on your shocks. Stiffer shocks would help that, but it sounds like you really need stiffer springs to get your ride height back.
Unread 05-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

how much shock shaft is showing at ride height??? it doesnt take much to blow through sancho 9000s
Unread 05-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I thought Currie made 4'' lift springs and HD 4'' lift springs for heavy jeeps. I would try giving the guys at Savvy off road a call, they helped me out with my questions with my setup.

WTB aluminum UCF gas tank skid and engine skid.
WTB Impact Orange half doors.
RDaniel2405 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 4" +.5 Currie springs in my rear and they did raise my jeep to where I like it. From what I recall when speaking with Currie about it the spring rate is not more HD, just a taller spring. Anyone please correct me if they know otherwise. I don't have any rear corner armor, but do have steel skids.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
how much shock shaft is showing at ride height??? it doesnt take much to blow through sancho 9000s
This. If you listen to Rancho's lift height recommendations you end up with shocks that are too long and have limited up travel.
Unread Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #9
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
this. If you listen to rancho's lift height recommendations you end up with shock that are too long and have limited up travel.
x2..
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.