Spring spacers falling apart. Newbie here. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring spacers falling apart. Newbie here.

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
rbwamsley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Spring spacers falling apart. Newbie here.

This weekend I was rotating the tires on my fiance's 04 Jeep Wrangler X. From what I saw, the mods on her Jeep are:
- 1" body lift
- 1" spring spacers
- 33x12.50R15 on Black Steelies

She bought the Jeep with all the mods. I am almost positive those are the only mods (Even the shocks looked stock). As I was rotating the tires I took a look at the spring spacers and they are literally falling apart; big pieces of the spacer were in the coil (the pieces were big enough that it was hard to get them out between the spaces in the coil) this was on a couple of the coils too. I was looking at buying some other spacers, but I don't think that is the right route. What would be the best way to maintain the current ride height or maybe go a little taller and do it correctly.

Also, what is an SYE???

Thanks in advance,
Blake

rbwamsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
rbwamsley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, just answered my own question about the SYE. Its a Slip Yoke Eliminator.
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No harm at all in replacing the coil spacers with new ones.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
TimBrown
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You could buy a 2 ~ 2.5 inch suspension lift which is basically just taller springs and longer shocks but that costs a lot more that just doing the Budget Boost. You can find new spacers pretty cheap on ebay if you look.
TimBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
rbwamsley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If the Jeep has a vibe around 70 mph, would you suggest getting an SYE?

Also, is it ok to run a 2" spring spacer? That kind of seems like a lot.
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwamsley View Post
If the Jeep has a vibe around 70 mph, would you suggest getting an SYE?

Also, is it ok to run a 2" spring spacer? That kind of seems like a lot.
If it's not lifted, then no, you don't need an sye. They can have vibes for a whole list of reasons, but on a mostly stock jeep I'd start with these three steps:
1) Do an alignment. Only takes a few minutes to do yourself. Here's directions on how to do it:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
2) I see you just rotated your tires. Did that alter the vibe at all? Having your tires balanced would be a good idea.
3) Measure the spacers above the coil springs. 1.75" to 2" are the most common aftermarket mods and it is possible to get vibes after adding them. If they are that size, it is possible the t-case would need to be lowered slightly.

As far as the spacers, yes it is fine to use them. It is a very inexpensive way to get a couple inches of lift (or in your case replace the worn ones).
Don't just remove the spacers that are there, as the springs hitting metal is not a great idea.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.