spring / shock swap sahara to rubi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > spring / shock swap sahara to rubi

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
sdajeep1

spring / shock swap sahara to rubi

Have 2000 sahara w/ 2" spacer lift and some worn shocks.
Will replace w/ springs off rubi 130aa/106 w/ rubi shocks and remove spcer.

after some research , i am concerned jeep may ride too rough w/ 130 /106 springs. current springs are 129ab/104. any thoughts, currently she rides harsh and clunky offroad. hoping to smooth w/ stock rubi setup. thanks

sdajeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdajeep1 View Post
Have 2000 sahara w/ 2" spacer lift and some worn shocks.
Will replace w/ springs off rubi 130aa/106 w/ rubi shocks and remove spcer.

after some research , i am concerned jeep may ride too rough w/ 130 /106 springs. current springs are 129ab/104. any thoughts, currently she rides harsh and clunky offroad. hoping to smooth w/ stock rubi setup. thanks
why not just just go and buy some new good performing shocks? you answered your own problem of why its riding like crap, i dont really understand. swapping out the springs is not worth it.

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

and you may want to fill out our vehicle profile, it helps everyone with the questions you ask.

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're making it sound like the Rubi came with "special" shocks and springs. The only thing you'll be doing is replacing worn shocks with fresher shocks.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
sdajeep1

I got the shocks and springs w/500mi for cheap. The shocks have to be better than whats on it. The old springs have some sag. I guess the question is about the stiffer springs . Apparently the 130aa /06aa spring combo are the stiffest springs coming on the rubi's and LJ's. lookin for a smooth ride. Curious if any one has experience w/ the ride and that set up.
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdajeep1 View Post
lookin for a smooth ride.
Buy a Lexus... sorry, couldn't resist... but I have never ridden in a Jeep with a "smooth ride". Your best bet, find a local Jeeper with a Rubi and ask for a ride, see what you think... Then again, you have the parts already? Go swap em out and see what you think.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

spring spacers don't change ride quality, get some good shocks, keep your spacers and add swap in the rubi springs if you want, but they are no taller than yours stockers just stiffer and you are trying to get away from stiff?
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IF your springs had only 500 miles on them, you wouldn't notice any difference regarding the springs. Putting the Rubi springs on will restore that lost sag and feel only a tiny tad bit stiffer.

The shocks should be big improvement, since you already said yours are shot. But will they work with the lift (dont' think so) or are you taking the spacers off?
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
sdajeep1

removing spacers and extended bumpstops. Was concerned if the stiffer springs gave a rougher ride. I can get other springs, only want to do this once. Sounds like difference would be minimal. I guess i'll find out this week.
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
sdajeep1

finally nice riding jeep

So finally got this jeep riding nice.

Pulled out 2" coil spacers, extended bumpstops, old shocks and discos.

Replaced w/ stock heavy springs from 06 LJ 130/6aa . They were a inch longer, so only about inch of lift was lost. energy suspension stock length bump stops, shocks off rubi w/ 500 mi and sway bar w/ stock links.

The jeep runs very smooth off road ( for a jeep ), better road manners. Lost a inch of lift and gained more wheel travel w/ the removal of the extended bumpstops.

Besides the old shocks being worn, i think the extended stops really made the ride harsh. Soooo much better w/ more travel.

so I'll run these shocks for a bit and watch for a good deal on some bilstiens or something.

now off the explore the AZ back roads ... thanks for the input from this thread and others.

Tags
rubicon , sahara , shock , spring , coil , swap , switch , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.