Spring Rates V. Travel (weight of bumper & winch) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring Rates V. Travel (weight of bumper & winch)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Running925
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spring Rates V. Travel (weight of bumper & winch)

Hey guys, i'm sure i can't be the only guy with this complaint. I'm looking for some insight to this situation.

I have some 3-4 Inch lift springs, they were doing a great job until i added the weight of a bumper and winch on the front. Then i had to add a 2inch coil spacer to the front to level out the vehicle.

Thats fine for driving down the road, but the problem comes into play when the vehicle is off-road i'm lacking the travel that it should have. Also, the spring is all sagged out appears to be overloaded, so there is no way that it could really perform to it's best ability.

What have others done to resolve this issue. Can you order springs that are designed for the increased weight of the added bumper & winch? Would they then be to stiff?

I don't really wanna order a 6 inch lift spring to compensate, because that one will then be just as sagged out & not performing as it was intended.

Hopfully we can get some in depth answers in here.

TIA

Running925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running925 View Post
Hey guys, i'm sure i can't be the only guy with this complaint. I'm looking for some insight to this situation.

I have some 3-4 Inch lift springs, they were doing a great job until i added the weight of a bumper and winch on the front. Then i had to add a 2inch coil spacer to the front to level out the vehicle.

Thats fine for driving down the road, but the problem comes into play when the vehicle is off-road i'm lacking the travel that it should have. Also, the spring is all sagged out appears to be overloaded, so there is no way that it could really perform to it's best ability.

What have others done to resolve this issue. Can you order springs that are designed for the increased weight of the added bumper & winch? Would they then be to stiff?

I don't really wanna order a 6 inch lift spring to compensate, because that one will then be just as sagged out & not performing as it was intended.

Hopfully we can get some in depth answers in here.

TIA
Some of us are weight conscious and don't use heavy bumpers and we buy quality suspension components.
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Running925
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Some of us are weight conscious and don't use heavy bumpers and we buy quality suspension components.
Thanks for the slam, but i'm not going to sell everything and start over. I'd prefer to just buy springs that are rated for my weight instead of running these horrible spacers!

I never heard of a "light weight winch", please share. Maybe i could have shaved 10lbs off my bumper's weight if i spent an extra 300 dollars but i don't see it being worth that.
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

*insert Savvy plug*
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know with my particular lift, that I'll need to consider 4" springs in the front when I install my winch. I'll pull the spacers and old springs, drop in the 4" spring. The bumper I've selected doesn't weigh much more than stock...but the winch is 80-90lbs.

Are your springs 3" or 4"? Try 1" longer, add a small spacer if necessary.

The only lightweight winches I know of are rockcrawler-type with 50' of rope...which is fine if you're only 40' away from an anchor point.

ETA: without knowing what type or what size lift you have, this question is difficult to answer correctly. My solution would be to contact the lift mfg. directly and explain the issue at hand (that's what I did).
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the slam, but i'm not going to sell everything and start over. I'd prefer to just buy springs that are rated for my weight instead of running these horrible spacers!
Spacers aren't that horrible and that wasn't a slam. Fact is, weight is bad. Weight in the wrong places is worse.

Quote:
I never heard of a "light weight winch", please share. Maybe i could have shaved 10lbs off my bumper's weight if i spent an extra 300 dollars but i don't see it being worth that.
Warn makes a 9000 lb rated winch that weighs 48 lbs and I've seen winch plates that weigh more.

How big is your front bumper?

But, you could get some RE springs if you don't have them. We mix and match springs all the time to get the rake we want on a rig, it just depends on lift height and weight you're dealing with.
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
*insert Savvy plug*
We were dealing with this stuff long before Savvy was around. If you care to dig around, you are likely able to find posts from me about this same crap dating back many years.
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Running925
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How big is your front bumper?

But, you could get some RE springs if you don't have them. We mix and match springs all the time to get the rake we want on a rig, it just depends on lift height and weight you're dealing with.
Front bumper is a Steel Smittybilt stinger bumper that i got for 200 bux. It weights about 60 lbs, so that along with my xrc10, there is a bit of weight out in front of the wheels that is sagging me out.

I'd say lets just get rid of the stinger, but it almost saved me from an end over end one day when the rear wheels were in the air, so i'd prefer to keep it there.
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd say lets just get rid of the stinger, but it almost saved me from an end over end one day when the rear wheels were in the air, so i'd prefer to keep it there.
But if that's not likely to happen again - if it was a one-time thing - then you could lose it and still be safe. Not trying to talk you into an unsafe situation, here...just playing Devil's Advocate.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Well, if it almost saved you and you learned from your silliness not to do that again, then I'd almost guess it wouldn't be needed again.
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Running925
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I still run that trail.. this part is more expected but it could easily happen so i wanna keep that. Plus i use the tip of it as a guide in some tight areas so i know exactly if i'm gonna clear something with my corner.

I'm starting to lean twords a coil over option, but would rather go with a cheaper solution if i can find something that is gonna function properly.
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

what springs do you have now?

check out OME 4" lift front springs. a pretty high rate & long spring.

another stiff spring is Rubicon Express...you could try their 4.5" springs, which normally yield around 5-5.5".
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Running925
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I still have some RC 3.25 inch progressive rate springs in there, they are less than one year old. I've since changed direction on some of the things i want to do with my jeep and thats why i'm looking for a good solution to replace those.

2.5inch spacer in teh front to compensate for the sag.
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I still have some RC 3.25 inch progressive rate springs in there, they are less than one year old. I've since changed direction on some of the things i want to do with my jeep and thats why i'm looking for a good solution to replace those.

2.5inch spacer in teh front to compensate for the sag.
your profile says 5 inches of lift? but without the spacers, you netted 0.75" of lift from a 3.25" lift kit? Sounds like RC too me...

RC is pretty soft and sags quickly from what i've read on this forum. their 2.5" lift only gives like 1" on a stock Rubicon...and the weight isn't that much more over a sport TJ.

I'd say upgrade to some springs that are actually taylored to the weight of your rig...AEV and OME are good examples.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
their 2.5" lift only gives like 1" on a stock Rubicon...and the weight isn't that much more over a sport TJ.
That much, like how much? 50 or 60 lbs of sprung weight due to a heavier t-case and 2 locker pumps?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.