Spring Rates? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
johnwayneismyda

Spring Rates?

Ok, I’m new to “newer” Jeeps. I have a 97 TJ with 31X10.50 Firestone Destinations. My past Jeeps were all from the 1950’s and 60’s, and I have a quick question that might sound stupid to some of you.

Why do suspension manufacturers list two different lift kits…one for a 4 cylinder 97 TJ, and another for a 6 cylinder 97 TJ? I am assuming the only difference is the weight of the vehicle? Is this correct or did jeep decide to make something a millimeter smaller on 4 cylinder vehicles?

I haven’t had the 97 for even a week as of today, so the only mods so far are the above-mentioned wheels and tires, and an abbreviated rock bumper that I just built. Still to come is the rear bumper/carrier, complete undercarriage skid plates, front and rear lockers. The rest will be run of the mill Jeep upgrades, so I will not bore you with all that.

I am a structural steel fabricator/welder by trade so yes I will be building all my own components. If I can build bridges, modify and repair naval vessels, heavy equipment, and fabricate for government contracts…there is no way I am paying $400 for a bumper I can build myself (to a higher standard), in one Saturday afternoon.

PS…if anyone needs a component built, let me know. I guarantee it will be better in every aspect and a hell of a lot cheaper!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-18-2006, 10:43 PM
dougolupski
It's Heep not Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

To answer your question, yes. The 4 banger is lighter than the sweet I6. One thing to look at as well is Old Man Emu suspension has light and heavy springs depending on if you have a winch or a heavy rear tire carrier.

Jeep: 07 Wrangler X 2DR Black
Crime Guard Alarm with 2way pager, AFE CAI, DynaPro Exhuast
M.O.R.E. Body Lift, Source Co2 Tank, Stubbied Stock Front Bumper
KMC XD 795 Hoss Black 17" wheels and Maxxis Bighorn 305/70/17 tires
Every mod in the write up section.

Old Jeep: 04 Wrangler X Yellow Built To The Hilt For Three Great Years.

POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #2
post #3 of 3 Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 PM
opticalwaveguy

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolupski
...depending on if you have a winch or a heavy rear tire carrier.
Honey, I'll have to buy a winch to balance out the weight of the rear tire carrier...

OpticalWaveGuy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- an online resource for Jeep information
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.