Spring Rate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring Rate?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
johnwayneismyda

Spring Rate?

Ok, I’m new to “newer” Jeeps. I have a 97 TJ with 31X10.50 Firestone Destinations. My past Jeeps were all from the 1950’s and 60’s, and I have a quick question that might sound stupid to some of you.

Why do suspension manufacturers list two different lift kits…one for a 4 cylinder 97 TJ, and another for a 6 cylinder 97 TJ? I am assuming the only difference is the weight of the vehicle? Is this correct or did jeep decide to make something a millimeter smaller on 4 cylinder vehicles?

I haven’t had the 97 for even a week as of today, so the only mods so far are the above-mentioned wheels and tires, and an abbreviated rock bumper that I just built. Still to come is the rear bumper/carrier, complete undercarriage skid plates, front and rear lockers. The rest will be run of the mill Jeep upgrades, so I will not bore you with all that.

I am a structural steel fabricator/welder by trade so yes I will be building all my own components. If I can build bridges, modify and repair naval vessels, heavy equipment, and fabricate for government contracts…there is no way I am paying $400 for a bumper I can build myself (to a higher standard), in one Saturday afternoon.

PS…if anyone needs a component built, let me know. I guarantee it will be better in every aspect and a hell of a lot cheaper!

johnwayneismyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, springs off a 6 cylinder are stiffer to support the extra weight of the 4.o liter engine. Side by side the springs from a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder are the same height but the springs are much stiffer on the 6. Your SE could get close to an inch by swapping out some 6 cylinder springs. Here is a copy of post I made some time ago. Might make for good reading. Check out the link regarding spring part numbers for Jeeps:

I replaced my old SE springs with 117,000 miles with springs off a newer Sport (8,000 miles on them) and it lifted my Jeep 3/4". A good rule of thumb is if you go up 2 part numbers you will get around 3/4" to 1" of lift.

In the front I went from 126 to 129
In the rear I went from 103 to 105

Not all Rubicon springs are the same so you need to find out the part number. Some Rubicons have the same springs as other models. This is a good thread to read:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137485

I also added daystar 3/4" spacers to give me a total of 1 1/2" of lift.

When I sat my new and old springs side by side they were the same height so any lift you get will be because of the stiffness of the Rubi springs. I haven't noticed any differnce in the ride quality but I did replace my 7 year old stock shocks with newer factory shocks so that might have helped the ride quality to even things out in the ride department.
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.