Spring Inside Lower Radiator Hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring Inside Lower Radiator Hose

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
mcoh1030
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Spring Inside Lower Radiator Hose

Why is a spring a good idea to have in the lower radiator hose?

How can I tell if my lower hose, which does not have a spring is causing problems with my 4.0 running hot?

mcoh1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoh1030 View Post
Why is a spring a good idea to have in the lower radiator hose?

How can I tell if my lower hose, which does not have a spring is causing problems with my 4.0 running hot?
Lower radiator hose is under a suction. A hot hose become pliable and can collapse. You need the spring/
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah you need the spring and unfortunately that lower hose with spring is a dealer only item. If you are missing it, it will definitely cause cooling issues.
Unread 07-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
mcoh1030
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lower Hose Radiator Hose without Spring

OK, my lower rad hose doesn't have the spring. But when I go under the Jeep when it's running at operating temp, I don't see the lower hose collapsing.

Is there anyway to know if it is??? I have the original lower hose if there is no way of telling weather the hose is collapsing, I guess I should just replace it with the original spring and see if I get better cooling results.

I would think that if it were collapsing during operation, I would see it fold in on itself.
Unread 07-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
ZekeJeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

regardless of if you see it collapsing or not, your lower hose is missing a required element to cool properly and your vehicle is running hot. Seems like a simple cause and effect issue. You need to replace the hose, then ask more questions if that doesnt work.
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

fan clutch working? fluid flush?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, my lower rad hose doesn't have the spring. But when I go under the Jeep when it's running at operating temp, I don't see the lower hose collapsing.

Is there anyway to know if it is??? I have the original lower hose if there is no way of telling weather the hose is collapsing, I guess I should just replace it with the original spring and see if I get better cooling results.

I would think that if it were collapsing during operation, I would see it fold in on itself.
Suction pressure is a fundamental of pump speed, the faster the pump spins, the more suction it will create. If your bold enough, you can hang on at 70 MPH and see what it's doing. I'm not, so I keep the spring in there.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
sthomp
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I recently replaced my lower radiator hose with an aftermarket hose. I did not replace the spring because it was practically rusted in pieces. The guy at the parts store claimed that the new hose was different and did not need a spring but I take everything those parts stores say with a grain of salt... Anyway, I have had it on there for a few months without the spring and havent seen any cooling issues, crawling around in the high 90s or cruising at 70mph. I have been keeping an eye on the temp gauge and havent noticed anything strange, but I may put a spring in eventually just to be safe.
sthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
mcoh1030
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just crawled out from under the Jeep. I was hangin out at over 70mph, when I looked in the mirror I saw Robert Deniro/Max Cady, (CAPE FEAR).

What I'd like to know is:

Is it possible that without the hose, the spring in the hose, the engine would run 20-30 degrees hotter than normal?
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthomp View Post
... The guy at the parts store claimed that the new hose was different and did not need a spring .....I have had it on there for a few months without the spring and havent seen any cooling issues....
I was told same thing...Some new hoses (Gates Rubber Co maybe) won't colapse!
After closely inspecting the new hose.... I have my doubts.... but what do I really know?
To sleep better at night - I pulled old spring from torn hose and inserted it in new hose!
Why not!
Quote:
....Is it possible that without the spring in the hose, the engine would run 20-30 degrees hotter than normal?
Yes if it colapses! If not I think it might run cooler.... due to better flow and no preheated metal in the fluid stream.
But in real world I can't see a significant difference. JMO
Still searching for cause of your over heating problem? Mine was head gasket leak.

RJ

Last edited by RowJ; 07-26-2010 at 09:39 AM..
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

All you need to do is move the throttle linkage by hand at the throttlebody and watch the hose.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
mcoh1030
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When you first developed the head gasket leak, was your engine running hot???

Did you have other symptoms???
Unread 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When you first developed the head gasket leak, was your engine running hot??? Did you have other symptoms???
Yes... hot with exhaust gas getting into coolant!
(we discussed this on my original thread)

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower radiator hose , spring , heat , temperature

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.