Spray-on Liners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spray-on Liners

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Spray-on Liners

Hey everybody.

After getting my Jeep rained in twice in two days <damn Chicago summers and freak thunderstorms> I've been looking at getting a spray on liner (Rhino or Line-X) I have a few questions though...

1. How is the sound-deadening? I know the carpet helps alot to keep noice down in the cabin, and I don't want to lose that because it's personally loud enough in there as is.

2. Mainly for my gf who sits in the passenger seat, but does the lining help keep the floorboard above the exhaust from getting too hot? I've touched the metal down there after a long trip and that stuff gets hot even on the inside.

3. What type of cost am I looking at (if I strip the jeep)?

4. Are there any issues that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for the help!

Unread 06-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
hasmjeep

I dont know about the effects it has on sound and heat but there are alot of posts about this throughout this forum. Line-X seems to get better marks. I priced my Jeep (stripped by me on arrival) at $575 from my local Line-X dude
hasmjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump because I would like to know about the heat and sound deadening
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJeeper
Bump because I would like to know about the heat and sound deadening
I'm sure it helps with sound deadening. Isn't linex alsmot a 1/4" thick? If so thats like having carpet down. Should help out greatly and I would think it would also act as an insulator from the heat.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I use durabak, an alternative to Line-X, and have noticed definite sound reduction and the heat doesnt feel to bad either. I put the carpet back over it after about a week though, cus of the color of the liner...

Cost ya 5-600 bucks for the professional, spray on job. Mine was rolled on (by me!) and cost 105.00 for the durabak, and about 15 dollars for incidentals like sandpaper, xylene, brush, drop cloth...etc. I am glad I did it myself: lots of dough left over for lift and stuff....

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
freakyone

I Herculined mine about a month ago. Sound reduction is very good. The floor does not feel cold but it is definately bearable. I highly recomend this sort of mod. I did mine myself for under $100.

[URL=http://www.freakyone.net]http://www.freakyone.net[/URL]
freakyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
wicker

A Line-X dealer close to me quoted $500 for a pre-stripped jeep w/ the tailgate off, but present.

I don't know about this, but it may help if you're going to roll over some land mines Must Read
Some lights and lil toys, but other-wise stock.

Gotta Jeep it safe and show those freakin H2's how it's done in a REAL 4X4!!![/SIZE]
wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
ADIDAS

the rhino lining dealer in rockford IL quoted me 350 for a stripped jeep. I was gonna go that way, but decided to do the herculiner route myself too.
ADIDAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
RubiconSS

Get a roll of good quality header wrap and wrap your pipe.
Unread 07-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
blissburn

I had Line-X put in my 05 Jeep within the first week of buying it. I couldn't be more pleased.

Sound: I can not tell the difference between sound of my Jeep with carpet and my Jeep with Line-X. It is at least as quiet, if not quieter.

Heat: I have noticed no problems with heat on the floorboards with Line-X. It is only warm to the touch after long interstate drives. The physical properties of the polyurea in Line-X allow it to tolerate very high temperatures, up to over 300 degrees.

Cost: Every Line-X dealer sets their own prices. Check around. I paid $475 but had to strip the Jeep myself (seats, console, seat belts, seat mounts, etc.)

Other Issues you aren't thinking of: Aside from being a quiet, tough, great looking liner; it's easy to clean with a waterhose if you pull your drain plugs.

If you can part with the cash, look no further than Line-X. The do-it-yourself liners can look good if you really take your time and put some elbow grease into the job, but they simply aren't on the same level of durability. As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
Unread 07-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #11
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I read somewhere not to coat the rear fenderwells on the Jeep is there a reason for this or can I coat them?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.