Spray On Bed Liner on Stock Fender Flares - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Shafty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Spray On Bed Liner on Stock Fender Flares

I know there have been plenty of posts already on rejuvenating tired stock fender flares via painting them. But seeing as I've been a member for so long with very few posts I thought I would take this as an opportunity to introduce myself as well as share my experience with this little project.

As many of you already know the stock fender flares have a tendency to chalk badly, mine were getting very tired. I tried doing everything from Armorall to Black Magic, and while these products did turn them black again they only lasted days or weeks. Here are some photo's of mine:

After reading other posts I decided to do this right I was going to need to remove them. There were about 8 bolts for each fender. 3 of each set didn't have a plastic nut on the end and simply unscrewed from the body. The other five however are a real PITA, after blistering my fingertips I dug through the tool box and found some needle nose vice-grips. Clamped them on to the plastic nut and used an 8mm socket on a quarter inch drive, took about 45 minutes before I had all 4 fenders off.

The rear was more difficult than the front, not necessarily hard, but you have to remove the wheel well insert to be able to get to the plastic nuts for the fender. To make this easier I removed my rear wheels altogether. (I took the time to go ahead and do a brake job while i was in there.) The insert is held in place with some christmas tree push pins. I just yanked on it hard enough to pop them off. With the insert out of the way taking the fender off was a breeze.

With the fenders off I scrubbed them down with simple green and a terry cloth. Hosed them off and did a quick wipe with a towel. Afterward I let them finish air drying. At this point I needed to start prepping the plastic. I used a clean terry cloth and soaked it with Mineral Spirits and rubbed them all down to make sure they didn't have any residue left on them. To prime them I used Rustolium Plastic Primer. At this point I figured I was putting so much effort in I might as well do the side plastic rear bumper inserts as well. Only took 4 screws each, they use the same star bit as the hard top. Not sure exactly what size that is, i just tend to leave the bit in my screw driver in my on-board kit. I used 2 coats of primer for each fender, waiting an hour in between coats.

The lights on the front fenders were held in place with a cheapie 10mm nut. You could use pliers or a socket, just be careful as it's very easy to squish it.

After the second coat of primer I let them sit for 2 hours before I applied the bed liner. I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating. It came in a spray can and only took an hour before it was dry to the touch. Though be very careful handling it, even after 2 hours I was able to accidentally smudge in a finger print when pressing in the bumper inserts. The bed liner only takes about 2 minutes before you can apply the next coat. So by the time I finished spraying my last piece I just started over again at the beginning. After letting them set for 2 hours I went ahead and bolted everything back together. I decided to heck with the wheel well inserts, looks better without them. But this does leave a hole exposing the rear cabin at the top of the wheel well. To avoid any water splashing up I just put some duct tape on either side. At some point I plan on having bed liner sprayed in the whole inside of the tub, and I'll take that opportunity to plug that proper, but for now duct tape will work just fine.

Everything I needed I found at Autozone. The bill came out to a little less than 50 bucks and I bought the following:

2 Cans - Rustoleum Plastic Primer
2 Cans - Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating
1 Can - Mineral Spirits
1 set of Terry Cloths

*Optional 1 Case Modello (may result in revocation of man card if omitted)

Anyway, I hope this helps out the next guy. I'll post a followup in a few months and let you know how it holds up.

**Edit
That pile of dirt in the last picture came from the bumper insert. It was really kinda funny. The driver-side was full of beach sand and the passenger side was full of desert dirt. :-p

Last edited by Shafty; 05-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Diablo_jk55
2008 JK Wrangler 

They look awesome. Was thinking of doing the exact thing to my Ram OEM flares.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Shafty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. :-) Yeah, I liked it so much I went ahead and decided to do my rock sliders the next day. Unfortunately you are supposed to wait 3 days for the Rustoleum to fully cure before you start applying real pressure to it. So of coarse while I was taking the sliders off I manages to scratch the flares a bit, that's ok though since I was planning on applying another coat next weekend anyway. I'll post pics for the sliders project in the next few days. Also, next weekend I think I'm going to go ahead and do my bumpers and lights. Pretty much everything that's black and faded is going to get a few coats of this stuff.

Last edited by Shafty; 05-07-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: grammar

post #4 of 19 Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Shafty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also I need to go ahead and paint the inside of the flares. I didn't think the over-sprayed primer would be all that noticeable but now I can't stop seeing it every time I walk up to my jeep.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM
mcjeepin1996
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Does it have a rough texture like bedliner? I want to do something like this but want more of a flat black to match flat black rims im getting.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjeepin1996 View Post
Does it have a rough texture like bedliner? I want to do something like this but want more of a flat black to match flat black rims im getting.
I used the Rustolem on My TJ & Yes it does have a fine texture so far it's holding up great did them 3 months a go.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM
monkeee2002
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great write-up. I must have missed this somehow when you first posted it.
I did my fender flares last summer, with the same bedliner paint. They're holding up quite well; I have a few chips on the leading edge of my rear flares, do to the "sand" they use here in the winter on roadways (rocks bigger than I have in my driveway!)
And I love the texture! It's not too rough, not too smooth, not too shiney, LoL!

The skinny pedal on the right is my friend. the gas gauge is not.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good!!! Will give this a shot on my tj - painted them in the past looking for a more rugged look!

Beep Beep, who got da keys to the JEEP???
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
post #9 of 19 Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Reaper6
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great write up. Let us know how they hold up, I might be down with doing this...
post #10 of 19 Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Capp35
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I am going to do mine next week.
I am trimming mine before I spray them. I figure the texture will help cover any off angled edges I make cutting them.

I had a beige hard top that was badly faded and I used this to spray it black.
Came out great!
post #11 of 19 Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Loc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know that this is an old thread but curios on an update from the original poster. Are they still holding up?
post #12 of 19 Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone used the brush on Herculiner on their flares ?

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #13 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 AM
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc View Post
I know that this is an old thread but curios on an update from the original poster. Are they still holding up?
It's been over a year since I sprayed mine with Rustolem Truck Bed Coating & They Look as good as the day I sprayed them.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Loc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller0737 View Post
It's been over a year since I sprayed mine with Rustolem Truck Bed Coating & They Look as good as the day I sprayed them.
That good to hear. I will be spraying mine today.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 AM
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have never used the Rustoleum product but have used the Duplicolor spray can bedliner. It works great on bumpers, wheels, the tops of my fenders but I have not used it on my flares (yet).

How does the Rustoluem compare to the Duplicolor, if anybody has used both? You can see my fender tops here:

J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.