Spongy clutch/difficult shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spongy clutch/difficult shifting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
rob1525
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spongy clutch/difficult shifting

I noticed today that it was a lot harder for me to shift gears. Seems ecspecially hard to get into reverse. So much so that it grinds really bad when changing to reverse. All other gears are also more difficult to change to. I also noticed that the clutch pedal goes down almost 3/4 of the way before you can feel it disengage. It is very spongy. So, where should I start. Thanks for the help.

rob1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mileage?Have you check the clutch fuid level?Have you changed the gear lube lately?Redline MT-90 is good for your year Jeep.Reverse has no synchronizer so it's a find and grind gear.Whenever my clutches went bad they slipped when winding out the gears.
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
rob1525
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its a 97 with 79k miles. Clutch was recently replaced and currently running MT-90. I was thinking its the clutch slave cylinder. Just want to see if someone agrees with me.
rob1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Clutch fluid is just brake fluid...check the reservoir. Was the throwout bearing replaced at the same time? It also sounds like a slave issue as well. You could pop the slave out and check to see how the piston responds.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
nbleak21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

mine has been doing the same thing as of late, I have put in new fluid in the tranny, as well as lucas trying to solve the issue (and yes, i checked my fluid level and it's at 100%) I've got an '04 w/ 59k... I was thinking it was either slave or possibly just needed to be bled... any suggestions?
nbleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
fatcop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had this problem after I had a new clutch kit put in and it turned out to be the slave cylinder leaking air into the lines. After having it bled a couple of times, it kept doing it so ended up replacing that and have been trouble-free for a year now.
fatcop is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.