JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   sPOD "The Source" (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/spod-source-392199/)

kizer 03-23-2007 11:45 AM

sPOD "The Source"

A while back I met this guy on the Internet selling a gizmo called the sPOD and thought it was a rather cool idea.

Now it even gets better. This is more or less a sneak peak of something that isn't even on their website as of yet.

Playing with it you can now disregard relays and fuses when you hook up additional items becasue they are built in.

Anyways here's a sneak peak and I'll throw up an offical install/review hoepfully over the next few days.
sPOD The Source

So far its only for TJs, but who knows in the future.

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...e/IMGP0384.jpg

lupinsea 03-23-2007 02:12 PM

Sweet, Kizer!

I remember seeing that write-up on Links4Jeeps.com that was posted a little while ago and it got me thinking. Very very slick setup for expanded electrical needs. Clean setup, too.

This new box or system sPOD is developing looks even better!

kizer 03-23-2007 02:23 PM

When you come up I'll give you a show. I think its pretty darn nifty. Im hoping to play with it more this weekend. The interior card is laying on a milled out piece of thick plastic mounted on a powercoated piece of alluminum.

My only worry is the suspended bracket thingy wondering if bouncing around in the engine bay would cause any problems.

Rule303 03-24-2007 05:50 AM

So that is basically just a relay/fuse extension panel for the TJ? Where do you tie it into the battery? Are those leads fused? And you'd still have to run switch leads back into the cab right?

PackMan 03-24-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky05
So that is basically just a relay/fuse extension panel for the TJ? Where do you tie it into the battery? Are those leads fused? And you'd still have to run switch leads back into the cab right?

You need to check out his website and see what he's offered to date.

http://www.4x4s-pod.com/

:drool:

This is, hands-down, the nicest solution for switches in a TJ that I have ever seen. I want it so bad, I'm even thinking of adding unneeded accessories to justify buying it.

I have the Jeep Disease, and I reject the 12-step program.

Metal 03-24-2007 08:35 AM

I bought the sPOD system a last month and all I can say is, this is a top notch product with the best customer service I have had with buying Jeep stuff.

Stu Olson 03-24-2007 09:13 AM

Are sneak peeks authorized? :thumbsup:

I got mine a couple of days ago. I was blown away with the quality and attention to detail. Once again, John has out done himself. Props for an awesome addition to the sPOD.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/source-1.jpg

kizer 03-24-2007 10:15 AM

There is a inline fuse on the power lead from the battery to the panel. Its resetable as well if there is to much of a draw. Also each device is protected with its own fuse, relay and a diode to make sure power is flowing in the correct direction. I'm going to shot photos of everything like I did before so everybody can see everything.

Stu, as for the sneak peak shots yes I've been told "I" can show it, but I did indicate to John "The sPOD guy" I would not take photos of his wire trace circuits simply because well if anybody tries to copy I want to make it hard for them. ;) He as well said you where chomping at the bit to get one, in which I told him you would give a good honest review like you normally do on things.

Yes, its basically a fancy extension box, with the addition of the switch panel inside which looks a lot like the trim of the 2003 wranglers, but made out of thin powdercoated aluminum with quality LED switches and a pigtail that leaves the cab and enters into the engine bay.

I currently have the version with 6 switches and a pressure guage that I use to monitor my ARBs. I know eactly when the compressor is going to fire up and if/when I have a leak.

Rule303 03-24-2007 10:57 AM

Ah, I see it comes with a switch panel as well. Very nice.

Stu Olson 03-24-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer
There is a inline fuse on the power lead from the battery to the panel. Its resetable as well if there is to much of a draw. Also each device is protected with its own fuse, relay and a diode to make sure power is flowing in the correct direction. I'm going to shot photos of everything like I did before so everybody can see everything.

Stu, as for the sneak peak shots yes I've been told "I" can show it, but I did indicate to John "The sPOD guy" I would not take photos of his wire trace circuits simply because well if anybody tries to copy I want to make it hard for them. ;) He as well said you where chomping at the bit to get one, in which I told him you would give a good honest review like you normally do on things.

Yes, its basically a fancy extension box, with the addition of the switch panel inside which looks a lot like the trim of the 2003 wranglers, but made out of thin powdercoated aluminum with quality LED switches and a pigtail that leaves the cab and enters into the engine bay.

I currently have the version with 6 switches and a pressure guage that I use to monitor my ARBs. I know eactly when the compressor is going to fire up and if/when I have a leak.

I was hoping to have this about a month ago but that is the way it goes when bringing a new product to market. John and I have been exchanging comments on this since about last Thanksgiving. I kept my mouth shut, as promised. :)

I was hoping to have mine installed prior to hitting Moab in a couple of weeks but I'm not sure I can. I've got a lot of legacy wiring that will be retrofitted to work with the sPOD and Source and that will take time. I don't have enough weekends left to do it, I'm afraid. We are at WERock next weekend to compete and then I've got one weekend left before Moab.

Do a good job on the photos.....lot's of folks are waiting to see it. My install and review will come later on....waiting is the hard part, but it will be worth it once finished! LOL :D

kizer 03-24-2007 02:53 PM

Exactly Ive been waiting forever for this model. He did mention he wanted to have it ready for you for Moab, but said he had to test, test, test it before he would let it out.

Just like you many emails and a few chats on the phone regarding it. I'm glad he had us both poking him and like before he built an awesome device. Legacy wiring huh? That never happens.. hahaha

I did notice a really cool thing last night. I was in the cab flipping my switches on the incab panel, which has been in several months and running my lights with a relay, but after the install of the "Source" I was playing and nothing sounded cooler than hearing relays clicking over one by one from each switch knowing I didn't install one relay in the entire install process. I know its geeky, but cool. :2thumbsup:

Stu Olson 03-24-2007 06:58 PM

OK....so I couldn't sit there and just look at the boxes! :rofl:

I took a little break from what I was doing this afternoon and got the sPOD installed less the cable routing to the engine compartment. I might be able to get this done before Moab. :cheers2:

I got an e-mail today that I believe was meant for you (addressed to me but with your name in it). PM me your e-mail addy and I'll forward it to you.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/temp/spod-1.jpg

jmreagan 03-24-2007 08:44 PM

I am not to electronically inclined so please go easy one me! What exactly does this product do and what kind of applications is this for?

Jeepguy1977 03-24-2007 08:54 PM

Pretty nifty device.....already giving me ideas.....and I just happen to have some pictograph type rockers for those contura switches on the panel. Simply beautiful.

neZZr 03-24-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmreagan
I am not to electronically inclined so please go easy one me! What exactly does this product do and what kind of applications is this for?

Combined with the sPod, it gives you a very easily installed switch panel with prewired relays & fuses for 6 separate circuits. Basically, all you'd need to do for wiring is provide power and ground, then hook up your lights or whatever you want directly to the this box. Very clean & easy.

The time now is 01:24 PM.