Splitfire Plugs vs. Standard Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Splitfire Plugs vs. Standard Plugs

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-18-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Alphadux

Splitfire Plugs vs. Standard Plugs

Okay, so is there really a difference in using Splitfire Plugs or even Splitfire Triple Platinum Spark Plugs as opposed to any regular run-of-the-mill spark plug? Thanks.

Dana 44 's, 4-wheel discs
Alpine CDA 9815 MP3/Infinity Kappas 4x6"s, 6 1/2"s, 12"s/ 800watt sounds
4" Superlift 33X12.5 BFG A/T KOs on 15/8" AR Wheels
Warn 9.5 ti Winch is next!

Vampire Jeep Owners Club #13
[B]Black Jeep Club Member #69[/B]
[COLOR=darkred]Follow Me To Certain Death Jeep Club Member #31[/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB FOUNDER[/B]
Alphadux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
doorocks
Web Wheeler

[QUOTE=Alphadux]Okay, so is there really a difference in using Splitfire Plugs or even Splitfire Triple Platinum Spark Plugs as opposed to any regular run-of-the-mill spark plug? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The answer, in my recently educated opinion, is no for the most part.

I recently used the Bosch +4's, basically the same "gimmick" as the splitfire plugs. After several debates, one with Jerry B. , I decided to try the single platinum plugs by Autolite.....which many here use.

I have better results with the singles , than I did with the +4's. I also have a FireControl Iginition, which does make a difference and that is true.....but as for the plugs, just stick with the single platinums by Autolite or similar make...take it from a recent turncoat from the "splitfire" hype.

Oh and prepare yourself, the debate will begin shortly. Have plenty of popcorn and soda.....I mean beer.

Steve

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2003, 10:23 PM   #3
blupupher

Search is your friend.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/spark-plugs-58810/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/spark-plugs-57769/
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
thephantum
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with you...just use the correct heat range plug and don't bother with the splitfires or any of the gimmicky plugs. I tried the Splitfire triples in my Camaro. I put them shortly after I first installed the engine (I ran with AC/Delcos first)...no difference in performance, MPG, etc. When I installed the MSD I ran with the splitfires for awile and then went back to AC/Delco's...again no difference (there was a difference going to the MSD, but none upon switching plugs).

I just use Champions (in our Jeeps) and AC/Delco's in the Camaro.

My $0.02

Steve

[B][size=3][url=http://www.links4jeeps.com/in.php?id=893/]Links 4 Jeeps - Yup, they're free here too[/url][/size][/B]

[URL=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA_Chapter/VA_Members.htm#cname]
97 XJ Sport 2 door with a bunch of stuff[/URL]

[url=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA%20Chapter/VA%20Members.htm#dname]
02 TJ Sport with a bunch of stuff[/url][/center]
thephantum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2003, 12:24 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Splitfire sparkplugs are junk.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2003, 12:49 AM   #6
jandoaudio

I am currently running Bosch Platinum 4s and they perform about identical to the copper champions that were in there before. The spark plug choice isn't that important in a stock jeep motor, I would just run champion or ngk coppers and change them every 10k miles if I was to do it again. The copper plugs produce just as good if not a better spark than platinums, they just don't last as long.

Spark becomes important when you are running a high performance motor and trying to avoid blowout. I run ngk coppers in my twin turbo stealth because that is what has proven to give the least blowout problems at high boost levels, they give better spark than platinums or iridiums, you just change them 3 times as often
Unread 11-19-2003, 01:53 AM   #7
iroc22

Copper will always produce a better spark, which makes more power. Copper has better conductive properties than platinum and iridium.

Split Fire's aren't junk plugs, they just aren't worth the money.
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2003, 02:13 AM   #8
KILLERtj

I got Bosch +4's in my Jeep and I cant notice a difference.

Peace Out
KILLERtj
[COLOR=red]Red Jeep Club #5[/COLOR]
Vampire Jeep Club #6

02 Wrangler SE, Ford 8.8, 4.88's, Tera-Flex S4T, 35" MTR's

Faster than a Ferrari on rocks!
KILLERtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2003, 07:35 PM   #9
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Champion Truck Plugs #4412
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.