Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Spider Gear Missing a Tooth After Re-Gear Break-in Period

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Scotch740 
#1 ·
I had my D30 regeared from 3.07 to 4.56 about a month and a half ago, and now after the initial 500 mile break-in period, I am installing an aussie locker. Upon removing the carrier from the housing, I noticed an entire tooth missing off one of the smaller spider gears. I did not find the missing tooth in the housing, but the fluid looked a little 'blacker' than normal, could it have been pulverized so much that it turned to dust?
So what happened?

The spider gear was already damaged, and the shop that installed it A) Didn't notice or B) Didn't care/say anything?

The change from 3.07 to 4.56 caused an already worn part (80K miles, only 10K that I put on) to over-stress and fracture?

The way the shop setup the gears was not perfect and as a result, caused damage to the spider gear?

Any other reasons I'm missing?

I'd like to note, this thread is really for my education - not to harsh on the shop that did the install (which really seems to know what they are doing) - and not to try and get any free parts out of the shop, like I said, I'm installing an Aussie now and as such, wont require any spider gears at all. I called the shop this morning, and they were unapologetic, they were unclear what the cause was and happily transfered me to the parts department to order a new thrust washer (completely different issue) since I told them I didn't need new spider gears - who knows if they would have replaced them or not...

Pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks pretty ugly for only 500 miles. Id hit up the shop for warranty and a good inspection as metal particles may have damaged the carrier bearings or other gears etc. I cant see screwing up the pinion preload or carrier bearing preload having anything to do with damaged spider gears, just bad parts or hard use/abuse. Generally, Diff break in procedures are needed to develop a wear pattern on the R&P.

#3 ·
beertinted said:
The teeth on either side of the missing one look like they are worn different from the others. Maybe its just the pictures, but they look like they are narrower at the edges of the tooth.

Edit: Don't think its the pictures, my guess would be a bad/careless install. Couldnt begin to guess what was wrong thoguh, sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.