(Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > (Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #76
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't have failed with that low of miles....

J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #77
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
it is possible that the lack of driveshaft maintenance caused the DC joint to freeze up and crack the t-case...

its happened before but typically more catastrophic.

Is that yours? If it is i'll feel a little better that it's not just me. Haha.
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #78
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
It shouldn't have failed with that low of miles....
That's what I was thinking, which is why I think something else is bad which is wearing it out.
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #79
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are people really assuming that a joint that didn't get greased in it's first three months is what's causing the issue?

I have a Tom Woods rear DS and the centering ball came greased, didn't it?

I only grease mine every 6 months or so and it's always been fine.

I think we all love TW and are trying to find the quickest possible way to blame the OP.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I think a quality product like a TW DS could go 4 months without being re-greased, even if there was a small mudhole.

Let's stop knee-jerk blaming, and figure out what might be the actual issue.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #80
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovinal View Post
no, it was a guy in my club. It was a cherokee, but it was still a 231 and DC shafts on both ends, so the same thing can happen to TJs.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #81
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Are people really assuming that a joint that didn't get greased in it's first three months is what's causing the issue?

I have a Tom Woods rear DS and the centering ball came greased, didn't it?

I only grease mine every 6 months or so and it's always been fine.

I think we all love TW and are trying to find the quickest possible way to blame the OP.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I think a quality product like a TW DS could go 4 months without being re-greased, even if there was a small mudhole.

Let's stop knee-jerk blaming, and figure out what might be the actual issue.
I'm sure they are just Knee-jerk blaming in response to my original knee-jerk blaming. Haha.
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #82
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
there are a few possibilities.

1. manufacturing error from Spicer,

2. manufacturing error from TW (either during assembly or of the gold seal u-joint) (needle bearing out of place, etc.)

3. improper installation (u-joint not seated properly in the t-case yoke) this could have crushed the u-joint cap and/or stressed the metal in the DC end.

4. lack of grease in the u-joint or centering ball

5. t-case chain or other problem preventing the front yoke from freely turing during in 2WD.

6. other freak problem

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #83
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

OP, what does the axle yoke look like?

You said the broken piece was still attached? But with only bolt? What does the empty bolt hole look like?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #84
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
there are a few possibilities.

1. manufacturing error from Spicer,

2. manufacturing error from TW (either during assembly or of the gold seal u-joint) (needle bearing out of place, etc.)

3. improper installation (u-joint not seated properly in the t-case yoke) this could have crushed the u-joint cap and/or stressed the metal in the DC end.

4. lack of grease in the u-joint or centering ball

5. t-case chain or other problem preventing the front yoke from freely turing during in 2WD.

6. other freak problem
U-joint isn't noticeably damaged, although one of the caps did come off when it broke and lost some needle bearings.
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #85
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OP, what does the axle yoke look like?

You said the broken piece was still attached? But with only bolt? What does the empty bolt hole look like?
It's the tcase side that broke, but the other holes look... warped? the threads are intact, but the openings are bent. the remaining bolt looks like it was partially unscrewed. Could the bolts have backed out? what in the world would have caused that? I put them back in exactly as they came out, as tight as I could. They didn't have visible locktight on them before.
I tried to take a picture, but now my phone camera just says "ERROR."
I'm going to become Amish if all my crap keeps breaking.
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #86
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 1/4 drive Mac ratchet and socket that fits in there perfectly. I use a long 5/16 snap on wrench, put it on the bolt, let it sit in the skid, twist the shaft to break them loose.
Rigs with a body lift, I can get my 1/4 drive air ratchet on them with a wobbly.
I have a pack of 12 point bolts that came with a new shaft, my son installed it and reused the factory bolts. Ill have to take a look at the length and see about remembering the brand... Pro comp possibly is where that one came from.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #87
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I used a craftsman 1/4 socket wrench. I'm taking Mr. Blane's suggestion and dropping the skid next time. If there is a next time.
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #88
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovinal View Post
I wouldn't feel bad about not greasing it. I neglected to grease mine for a little while and the CV joint on it started to seize as well. I felt the increased vibrations and luckily was close to home before it got worse. Even though I told TW it was completely my fault, he just charged me for the new centering ball and even shortened the shaft/re-balanced it for me (I was doing an axle swap at the same time).

I agree that 3 or 4 months doesn't seem like enough time for this to happen, but it was for me. I'm sure the offroading I was doing didn't help, but it certainly wasn't that long of a time period.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.