(Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > (Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovinal View Post
Ah, thanks for that. With how amazing their customer service is, I really kinda want them to be as good as is said. I think they are going to send me a new shaft, so really the main thing is making sure there isn't something else wrong that will bust it in three months too.
If you are still hearing noises something is wrong. Could be in the diffs’ or even the Tcase.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
A loud popping noise that coincides with wheel speed is bad. Pop off your differential covers and verify that your gears are not broken apart.
I will go do that now, just gotta roll it in the barn. I am really not in a position to do a lot of replacing things in the axle, broke college student and all. I love my jeep, and the jeep life and all that, but this stuff is getting a little old.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Definitely want to fix whatever is wrong before you put your new/repaired driveshaft back on. As has been said, post some pics of the driveline. If you don't have any pics from before the carnage, hold up the shaft in place as best you can, and take pics showing both ends. Also, current pics of the yokes the DS attaches to may help, as we can tell you if anything else is obviously damaged.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but you've come to the right place to get good advice on fixing it.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Definitely want to fix whatever is wrong before you put your new/repaired driveshaft back on. As has been said, post some pics of the driveline. If you don't have any pics from before the carnage, hold up the shaft in place as best you can, and take pics showing both ends. Also, current pics of the yokes the DS attaches to may help, as we can tell you if anything else is obviously damaged.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but you've come to the right place to get good advice on fixing it.
Thanks, those first few replies were leaving me with some doubts. Haha. They were right of course, but still. Heh. I'll get those pics when I check the Diff. I think I have some diff fluid laying around still...
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #20
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... However, I would not buy Tom Woods again if I were looking for a new shaft. I mostly am posting this because threads on the TJ tech are what I looked at when choosing what part to buy, and I want other people to see a less favorable review...
These comments are misleading when it is unknown what caused the failure.

If Tom were to read this, would you still expect him to replace your driveshaft?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #21
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, that is sorta what I was thinking. I followed the instructions to the letter, so no, I did not adjust the pinion angle. I only have a 1.75 in spacer lift, and 31in tires. I've got a front Aussie as well, if that has anything to do with
it.
This is how a stock setup with a non double cardan (CV) style shaft is set.

This is how a proper pinion should be set with a double cardan (CV) style shaft should be set.

Your wrong pinion most likely caused the all of your problems.
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
HKguy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, that is sorta what I was thinking. I followed the instructions to the letter, so no, I did not adjust the pinion angle. I only have a 1.75 in spacer lift, and 31in tires. I've got a front Aussie as well, if that has anything to do with
it.
My question is if you only have smaller lift and your specs don't mention a SYE why did you go with a Woody? I'm fairly sure they highly recommend adjusting your pinion angle ALONG with a SYE. I went with a Woody after I was for sure of my final lift height and had the ability to adjust the pinion angle. I have 35's and 5.5 of lift and tore the control arm-track bar mount before anything else bit it. I'm very pleased with my experience with TW. Just for curiosity did you install the front locker, was it engaged, and were you in 4wd at the time? I'm guessing maybe, no, and no but it would help answer some questions. I think you have something else that caused all this.
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #23
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Don't apologize, some people hear get a little too but hurt if you say bad things about certain companies. Did you experience any vibrations after you installed it? I not I canít imagine that your drive ine angels were too far out, but who knows.

I believe in the center of that joint there is small grease fitting on the yoke that has the centering ball (not sure if I have the terms right) that requires a needle valve on your grease gun to get to. Did you every grease that?
I'll be right there with you that he should NOT apologize right after you show me which part of that failure can be attributed to ANY driveshaft builder?

Do you know that all the drive shaft bolts were tightened correctly?

Do you know that the pinion angle was correct?

Do you know that he didn't knock it out of balance and has just been driving it anyway?

Do you know that the noises he is hearing didn't take out the driveshaft?

That failure is atypical, not attributable to a driveshaft builder and until we know the whole story, I fully believe not only Tom, but any driveshaft builder should be apologized to for the previous statements made by the OP.
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
Dave02TJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I always find it is best to insult a manufacturer and their product on the internet before doing the research on the root cause of failures.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #25
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hate threads like this where a manufacturer of a complex device like a driveshaft, who is also extremely well known for his quality and support, is publicly blasted when the OP, who is inexperienced with such components, has no clue what happened or why it happened.

Personally, I'm on about my 6th Tom Wood driveshaft over the years and his high quality and extraordinary support keeps me coming back.

As was said above, the part that failed was actually made by Dana-Spicer who is the OE Manufacturer for all Jeep driveshafts and axles. Not calling Tom first to tell him what happened and give him a chance to respond with his usually extraordinary level of support before publicly dragging him over the coals is poor form in my personal opinion.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I hate threads like this where a manufacturer of a complex device like a driveshaft, who is also extremely well known for his quality and support, is publicly blasted when the OP, who is inexperienced with such components, has no clue what happened or why it happened.

Personally, I'm on about my 6th Tom Wood driveshaft over the years and his high quality and extraordinary support keeps me coming back.

As was said above, the part that failed was actually made by Dana-Spicer who is the OE Manufacturer for all Jeep driveshafts and axles. Not calling Tom first to tell him what happened and give him a chance to respond with his usually extraordinary level of support before publicly dragging him over the coals is poor form in my personal opinion.
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #27
Dave02TJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post

Sarcasm escapes you eh?
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #28
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave02TJ View Post
Sarcasm escapes you eh?

I understand now...
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #29
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Knuckelhead it was easily and completely (blatantly) obvious to me Dave02tj was kidding/being sarcastic & not being serious with what he said.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #30
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave02TJ View Post
Sarcasm escapes you eh?
I guess it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Knuckelhead it was easily and completely (blatantly) obvious to me Dave02tj was kidding/being sarcastic & not being serious with what he said.
Thanks for pointing that out...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.