(Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > (Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

(Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken

[IMG][/IMG]

I purchased a Tom Woods shaft last fall, after researching the best driveshafts using this forum. The spicer yoke on the t-case side broke during our southern "blizzard" these last few days. What could have caused this? Could something else be broken that put too much stress on the shaft? There is a new, loud popping/clicking/knocking sound that developed over the last day or so. It stops upon braking, and seems to be consistent with wheelspeed. I thought it was the brake rotor, (I was on the way to the auto parts store when the shaft blew) but, as you would imagine, I assumed it was the driveshaft after the incident. However, the sound did not stop after removing the shaft. So could whatever this sound is be the cause of the shaft busting? I can't think of any way it could have, but I don't know. Could the breaking shaft have messed something up in the front axle?

*edited for less idiocy

Unread 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
PhulesAu
1985 VJ 

Ok, so you managed to break it. that doesn't mean They make a bad product. **** happens, or do you think you are immune Stick to the technical details.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
Ok, so you managed to break it. that doesn't mean They make a bad product. **** happens, or do you think you are immune Stick to the technical details.
I apologize if I came off a little strong, I am upset. It is only three months old, so I am inclined to say that it is a defect, which should not have happened. You are right though, that should have gone in the review section, not the tech. Now do you have anything useful to say? Or just saying I am wrong to be upset?
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You broke a u joint. It happened. Doesnt matter who made the drive shaft

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Have you even bothered to talk to Tom Woods yet?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have an idea about the clicking/banging/knocking noise? I'm not that worried about the shaft, or the new U-joint breaking. I can replace that. I'm worried about what else might be broken.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you set up something wrong on your drive train. TW DS are high quality and don't just break for no reason. Did you adjust your pinion angle at all when installing this? Give some details before bashing this product and maybe someone can tell you why you broke it. Give some details of your setup.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
You broke a u joint. It happened. Doesnt matter who made the drive shaft
Ujoint looks fine to me, he broke off the yoke, more specifically the centering ball.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
Sounds like you set up something wrong on your drive train. TW DS are high quality and don't just break for no reason. Did you adjust your pinion angle at all when installing this? Give some details before bashing this product and maybe someone can tell you why you broke it. Give some details of your setup.
Thanks, that is sorta what I was thinking. I followed the instructions to the letter, so no, I did not adjust the pinion angle. I only have a 1.75 in spacer lift, and 31in tires. I've got a front Aussie as well, if that has anything to do with
it.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If your drive line angle was wrong you were tearing up the joint from the get go.

Can we get pics of the drive line, if you have any before it broke that would be great, if not, even now might help.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovinal View Post
I apologize if I came off a little strong, I am upset. It is only three months old, so I am inclined to say that it is a defect, which should not have happened. You are right though, that should have gone in the review section, not the tech. Now do you have anything useful to say? Or just saying I am wrong to be upset?
Don't apologize, some people hear get a little too but hurt if you say bad things about certain companies. Did you experience any vibrations after you installed it? I not I can’t imagine that your drive ine angels were too far out, but who knows.

I believe in the center of that joint there is small grease fitting on the yoke that has the centering ball (not sure if I have the terms right) that requires a needle valve on your grease gun to get to. Did you every grease that?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I measured the distance as the website says, and sent those numbers to tom woods, who sent me a driveshaft, which I put in my jeep. As the instructions say.
oh, and Yes. The shaft came with a grease gun fitting thingy, which I used to grease it a month ago or so after a particularly nasty mud hole.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
A4LiterV8eater
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovinal View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I purchased a Tom Woods shaft last fall, after researching the best driveshafts using this forum. I only found people saying "Go with the Tom Wood, you get what you pay for." "Being broke on the trail is worse than being broke in your wallet" etc. I will say I am rather unimpressed with their driveshafts. The metal shearing off in a parking lot in 2wd after a few months is not the high quality I was expecting from Tom Woods after reading the company's praises on here. Anyway, I expect they will send me a new one, their customer service is really good. However, I would not buy Tom Woods again if I were looking for a new shaft. I mostly am posting this because threads on the TJ tech are what I looked at when choosing what part to buy, and I want other people to see a less favorable review, but also I do have a question: What could have caused this? Could something else be broken that put too much stress on the shaft? There is a new, loud popping/clicking/knocking sound that developed over the last day or so. It stops upon braking, and seems to be consistent with wheelspeed. I thought it was the brake rotor, (I was on the way to the auto parts store when the shaft blew) but, as you would imagine, I assumed it was the driveshaft after the incident. However, the sound did not stop after removing the shaft. So could whatever this sound is be the cause of the shaft busting? I can't think of any way it could have, but I don't know. Could the breaking shaft have messed something up in the front axle?
That not Toms work that broke, that a spicer part. Anyways, there really isn't much special about ole tommy woods. He made my driveshaft, but I took it to the local spicer DS place many times to be repaired and they did the same quality work. Maybe I was lucky for having a place like that near by.
A4LiterV8eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A loud popping noise that coincides with wheel speed is bad. Pop off your differential covers and verify that your gears are not broken apart.
blubaru2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4LiterV8eater View Post
That not Toms work that broke, that a spicer part. Anyways, there really isn't much special about ole tommy woods. He made my driveshaft, but I took it to the local spicer DS place many times to be repaired and they did the same quality work. Maybe I was lucky for having a place like that near by.
Ah, thanks for that. With how amazing their customer service is, I really kinda want them to be as good as is said. I think they are going to send me a new shaft, so really the main thing is making sure there isn't something else wrong that will bust it in three months too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.