JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   (Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/spicer-yoke-tom-wood-ds-broken-2055169/)

mclovinal 01-30-2014 02:55 PM

(Spicer yoke on a) Tom Wood DS broken

[IMG]http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8eec219b.jpg[/IMG]

I purchased a Tom Woods shaft last fall, after researching the best driveshafts using this forum. The spicer yoke on the t-case side broke during our southern "blizzard" these last few days. What could have caused this? Could something else be broken that put too much stress on the shaft? There is a new, loud popping/clicking/knocking sound that developed over the last day or so. It stops upon braking, and seems to be consistent with wheelspeed. I thought it was the brake rotor, (I was on the way to the auto parts store when the shaft blew) but, as you would imagine, I assumed it was the driveshaft after the incident. However, the sound did not stop after removing the shaft. So could whatever this sound is be the cause of the shaft busting? I can't think of any way it could have, but I don't know. Could the breaking shaft have messed something up in the front axle?

*edited for less idiocy

PhulesAu 01-30-2014 03:07 PM

Ok, so you managed to break it. that doesn't mean They make a bad product. **** happens, or do you think you are immune Stick to the technical details.

mclovinal 01-30-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhulesAu (Post 19904897)
Ok, so you managed to break it. that doesn't mean They make a bad product. **** happens, or do you think you are immune Stick to the technical details.

I apologize if I came off a little strong, I am upset. It is only three months old, so I am inclined to say that it is a defect, which should not have happened. You are right though, that should have gone in the review section, not the tech. Now do you have anything useful to say? Or just saying I am wrong to be upset?

dayriesw 01-30-2014 03:32 PM

You broke a u joint. It happened. Doesnt matter who made the drive shaft

WhiteOut 01-30-2014 03:35 PM

Have you even bothered to talk to Tom Woods yet?

mclovinal 01-30-2014 03:37 PM

Does anyone have an idea about the clicking/banging/knocking noise? I'm not that worried about the shaft, or the new U-joint breaking. I can replace that. I'm worried about what else might be broken.

bbradUSMC 01-30-2014 03:38 PM

Sounds like you set up something wrong on your drive train. TW DS are high quality and don't just break for no reason. Did you adjust your pinion angle at all when installing this? Give some details before bashing this product and maybe someone can tell you why you broke it. Give some details of your setup.

JeepnBlake 01-30-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayriesw (Post 19905577)
You broke a u joint. It happened. Doesnt matter who made the drive shaft

Ujoint looks fine to me, he broke off the yoke, more specifically the centering ball.

mclovinal 01-30-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbradUSMC (Post 19905769)
Sounds like you set up something wrong on your drive train. TW DS are high quality and don't just break for no reason. Did you adjust your pinion angle at all when installing this? Give some details before bashing this product and maybe someone can tell you why you broke it. Give some details of your setup.

Thanks, that is sorta what I was thinking. I followed the instructions to the letter, so no, I did not adjust the pinion angle. I only have a 1.75 in spacer lift, and 31in tires. I've got a front Aussie as well, if that has anything to do with
it.

Jeffro06 01-30-2014 03:47 PM

If your drive line angle was wrong you were tearing up the joint from the get go.

Can we get pics of the drive line, if you have any before it broke that would be great, if not, even now might help.

Ross 01-30-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclovinal (Post 19905337)
I apologize if I came off a little strong, I am upset. It is only three months old, so I am inclined to say that it is a defect, which should not have happened. You are right though, that should have gone in the review section, not the tech. Now do you have anything useful to say? Or just saying I am wrong to be upset?

Don't apologize, some people hear get a little too but hurt if you say bad things about certain companies. Did you experience any vibrations after you installed it? I not I can’t imagine that your drive ine angels were too far out, but who knows.

I believe in the center of that joint there is small grease fitting on the yoke that has the centering ball (not sure if I have the terms right) that requires a needle valve on your grease gun to get to. Did you every grease that?

mclovinal 01-30-2014 03:53 PM

I measured the distance as the website says, and sent those numbers to tom woods, who sent me a driveshaft, which I put in my jeep. As the instructions say.
oh, and Yes. The shaft came with a grease gun fitting thingy, which I used to grease it a month ago or so after a particularly nasty mud hole.

A4LiterV8eater 01-30-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclovinal (Post 19904593)
[IMG]http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8eec219b.jpg[/IMG]

I purchased a Tom Woods shaft last fall, after researching the best driveshafts using this forum. I only found people saying "Go with the Tom Wood, you get what you pay for." "Being broke on the trail is worse than being broke in your wallet" etc. I will say I am rather unimpressed with their driveshafts. The metal shearing off in a parking lot in 2wd after a few months is not the high quality I was expecting from Tom Woods after reading the company's praises on here. Anyway, I expect they will send me a new one, their customer service is really good. However, I would not buy Tom Woods again if I were looking for a new shaft. I mostly am posting this because threads on the TJ tech are what I looked at when choosing what part to buy, and I want other people to see a less favorable review, but also I do have a question: What could have caused this? Could something else be broken that put too much stress on the shaft? There is a new, loud popping/clicking/knocking sound that developed over the last day or so. It stops upon braking, and seems to be consistent with wheelspeed. I thought it was the brake rotor, (I was on the way to the auto parts store when the shaft blew) but, as you would imagine, I assumed it was the driveshaft after the incident. However, the sound did not stop after removing the shaft. So could whatever this sound is be the cause of the shaft busting? I can't think of any way it could have, but I don't know. Could the breaking shaft have messed something up in the front axle?

That not Toms work that broke, that a spicer part. Anyways, there really isn't much special about ole tommy woods. He made my driveshaft, but I took it to the local spicer DS place many times to be repaired and they did the same quality work. Maybe I was lucky for having a place like that near by.

blubaru2002 01-30-2014 03:59 PM

A loud popping noise that coincides with wheel speed is bad. Pop off your differential covers and verify that your gears are not broken apart.

mclovinal 01-30-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A4LiterV8eater (Post 19906345)
That not Toms work that broke, that a spicer part. Anyways, there really isn't much special about ole tommy woods. He made my driveshaft, but I took it to the local spicer DS place many times to be repaired and they did the same quality work. Maybe I was lucky for having a place like that near by.

Ah, thanks for that. With how amazing their customer service is, I really kinda want them to be as good as is said. I think they are going to send me a new shaft, so really the main thing is making sure there isn't something else wrong that will bust it in three months too.

The time now is 06:15 PM.