Spice & White U-Pol Raptor Cage & Tub Fun w/pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spice & White U-Pol Raptor Cage & Tub Fun w/pics

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
geepguy99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Spice & White U-Pol Raptor Cage & Tub Fun w/pics

Well I finally got around to getting this off my checklist. All I can say is that PREP, although a royal pain, is what will make it look good vs. bad. I spent probably 9 hours last weekend stripping the interior (didn't take long) and sanding. Then about 5 hours yesterday (with someone helping me) doing some more sanding and then taping off, masking everything, and wiping everything down.

I did the cage last night in white so it could dry overnight and allow for my tub "lines" to be taped on the cage for the Spice. Then shot the Spice today. Overall I am really happy with the way it turned out. I was a bit skeptical of the Spice matching, but it's almost dead on to the dash.

I bought 2 kits. The cage took a bottle and a half (and looooots of overspray) and I used 5 on the tub. So I have a bottle and a half leftover in case I need to touch up anything down the road.

On to the pictures....There a good many, cause everyone loves pictures.

Prep:

After spraying the cage:

The Tub - 1st coat:

Tub - Last Coat

geepguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Tommygunn

Good job. The spice looks good.
Unread 08-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
geepguy99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Haven't seen a lot of people do the tintable kit and I am happy with the way the color turned out.
Unread 08-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
deltaredneck
2004 TJ Wrangler 

did u have big clumps of sealer or whatever it is around the bottom of ur rollcage where it meets the floor,if u did what did u do about them ,did u sand all of it down
deltaredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
CyclopsM24
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job!! make sure to get some pics when everything is back in.
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

yeah I said screw it and just left the sealer on mine, but after seeing yours I'm wishing I would have shaved and sanded it all down.
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Pathfinders
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great in the tan colour.
Pathfinders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
singleshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That looks fantastic !! Nice work

I do have a question though.

I noticed that you textured the mating surface on your tub where all your seals go (doors, hard top and rear tail-gate. Do you think that that amount of texture could potentially cause a leak (air and water) while the vehicle is in motion?

Again, great work. Seeing the finished product has me itching to start tearing mine down and doing the same.

singleshot
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
jim_bert
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work, looks good...
2001 Yellow Sport, I6, Dana 44 3.73 gears, 31x10.5 procomp AT on cragar soft 8s, silverstar headlights, black headlight bezels, raingler full netting system, raingler roll bar handles, EK motorsport maglite holder, Tuffy door lockers, Tuffy glovebox, stepshield door entry guards, 130w Halogen KC Daylighters on windhield mounts, kenwood kvt-819dvd, 5.25" front speaker conversion, door switch defeat, U-Pol Raptor liner, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust, Iggee seat covers, SAVVY LED Taillights.
jim_bert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Def. Different. Looks Good
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
geepguy99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, yea I am really happy with the way it turned out. It's a good bit of work prepping it all, but worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaredneck View Post
did u have big clumps of sealer or whatever it is around the bottom of ur rollcage where it meets the floor,if u did what did u do about them ,did u sand all of it down
I didn't have a ton of sealer down there like a lot of folks do. I guess I just got lucky, that stuff looks terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
That looks fantastic !! Nice work

I do have a question though.

I noticed that you textured the mating surface on your tub where all your seals go (doors, hard top and rear tail-gate. Do you think that that amount of texture could potentially cause a leak (air and water) while the vehicle is in motion?

Again, great work. Seeing the finished product has me itching to start tearing mine down and doing the same.

singleshot

I don't forsee any issues with it. The texture isn't super rough that it would cause something like that from what I can tell, at least at the door jambs. I don't have a hardtop, but what I can remember from my first TJ, I wouldnt forsee any issues with it either.
Unread 08-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
geepguy99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple from out in the sun today...have to for a week or so to put the rest of the interior in due to VACATION

Pretty close color match..the liner lightened the tint up just a bit
Unread 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

where did you get the sander from? and how much was it?
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Man I have been impatiently waiting for someone to match the spice so I could see if its something I would want to do. That thing is beautiful, very nice job. I love how you did the roll cage white, nice touch. Do you have a paint code you used for the spice?
poobub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

very nice, looks great. if i had 3 thumbs i'd put 'em all up
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.