Speedometer issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedometer issue

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering Stabilizer Brackets...Bolt In Jeep JK Tie Rod Kit!

Unread 05-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
b1bjetmech
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Speedometer issue

Hey guys - I have a weird issue with my speedometer that I hope maybe someone can help me with. I have a 2000 TJ, with an NP231 Mega Short Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) Kit with Speed Sensor. The speed sensor was a gear drive, and now it is a magnetic speed sensor with a tone ring. After installing the SYE, the speedometer was off by a bit, and it also fluctuated up and down about 20 mph while driving - which caused the transmission to upshift and downshift with the speedo changes. I installed a Dakota Digital SGI-5 interface on it about 6 months ago, and voila - everything worked! I got the speed stabilized, and I also got it reading accurately. Now fast forward about 6 months to about a month ago, and now my speed is fluctuating again, and it isn't at all consistent. I talked to Dakota Digital folks, and they suggested that the I measure the AC output of the speed sensor coming off the SYE housing. I was never actually able to get a good read on it, but I assumed since my SYE was only about 9 months old that it was probably ok. Maybe it is the culprit, but it is $120, and I don't really want to spend that kind of money just for trouble shooting. Have any of you experienced a speed sensor failure from the Rugged Ridge kits, or had similar issues with either the Dakota Digital interface? I've also read that it could be the PCM in the Jeep? I am to the point that I will probably have to take it to an auto electrician to troubleshoot it - unless some of you geniuses can help me.
Thanks!!

b1bjetmech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
KCBrewer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure the yoke is torqued TIGHT. I have the JB SS SYE and the instructions call for 200 ft lb on the yoke nut, and mention the speedo being erratic if not properly torqued. The tone ring depends on this to keep it from moving.
Unread 06-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
b1bjetmech
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well I finally figured out what was wrong with my speedometer - and KCBrewer - you were on the right track! I ended up having to add a washer between the yoke and the tone ring. Apparently, the yoke doesn't quite contact the tone ring enough to lock it firmly in place, and Rugged Ridge is aware of this issue. When I contacted them about it, they said the fix was to install a 1 1/2" ID x 2 1/4" OD x .080" washer. So have any of you out there with a Rugged Ridge Mega Short SYE had the same problem? If so - go to your local True Value hardware store (or similar) and pick one up for under a buck! Easy fix! (once I figured out what the heck it was!)

So now I have a spare Dakota Digital SGI-5 interface if anyone is interested in it! I will sell it for $50 plus shipping. It works fine, I just replaced it to trouble shoot the problem, and it wasn't the problem!
b1bjetmech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
john02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like my issue as well looks like i will have to try this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.